New bike

kev2016
kev2016 Posts: 7
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi am just getting back in to mtb I have just got a new carrar Vulcan 2015 model it has suntour xcm forks and clerks hydraulic disk breaks just wanted to no if this a good starting point to do a little off roading or should I just use it for going to and from work?

Thanks

Comments

• While not the best bike on the planet I used to own one and they are more than capable of some off roading. Took mine across the malverns more than once and plenty of other single track.

Wouldn't suggest anything too hardcore, but don't be afraid to get the wheels muddy!
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Hi am just getting back in to mtb I have just got a new carrar Vulcan 2015 model it has suntour xcm forks and clerks hydraulic disk breaks just wanted to no if this a good starting point to do a little off roading or should I just use it for going to and from work?

Thanks

its fine, you can do some quite daring things on them and more importantly have a lot of fun. They do benefit massively from putting a better set of forks on them, say 60/70 quid or so second hand and some decent light weight tyres wouldn't go amiss. But try it first
  • Thanks guys are there any up grades worth doing going to get a set of spd's
  • Thanks oxoman can't believe how much things have changed from the last time I was on a bike lol
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Thanks guys are there any up grades worth doing going to get a set of spd's

It depends what you mean by a ''little off roading '' There are people on here it would bring it back in bits from an hours ride. But with in its scope of an entry level bike you can go and have some fun. The question will answer its self.. If you think your in danger of loosing some teeth, you may need better forks, if you keep snapping spokes, better wheels may be in order.