Speedplay Zero head swap

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited December 2015 in Workshop
I have 3 sets of Speedplay Zeros on my bikes. 2 sets stainless 1 set Cromoly.

I need to take apart 1 set to replace the bearings but I want to swap the heads over on 2 if possible. Question is, are the cromoly and stainless steel heads interchangeable?

This is purely a cosmetic thing. All 3 sets look the same on the surface less the colour which I want to keep matching the bike colours. Alternatively I might just buy some stainless spindles to replace the cromoly if I can just swap them out.

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    When you say heads, do you mean the spindles? As it is, all parts on the various Speedplay Zeros are interchangeable, bearings, spindles, bowties, pedal bodies, the lot. Replacing the spindles is a 5min job, but take care you don't mash the heads of the torx screws under the plastic grease port covers. I've replaced the cromoly spindles on all of my pedals with Taiwanese titanium jobbies off ebay.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks for the feedback. Essentially yes.

I have taken them apart to regrease the bearings but that was just the original comoly set. I need to do some maintenance on the other 2 so wanted to swap bits about. i.e the cromoly have celeste heads and the stainless red and black respectively. I want the celeste pedals on stainless and put the red head on the cromoly which would then go on the winter bike and the celeste stay on the summer. Also since it would probably be cheaper to buy bulk I could get 3 sets of bearings knowing they would fit on any.

I had considered new spindles but im always wary about 3rd party parts and speedplay Ti are a bit expensive.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    If it makes any difference to you, my ebay Ti spindles have been absolutely fine and I've been riding on them all year, although I'm under 60kg. Unlike the Speedplay Ti spindles, they're also titanium / silicon nitrided, so should actually wear better.
  • Anonymous
    If it makes any difference to you, my ebay Ti spindles have been absolutely fine and I've been riding on them all year, although I'm under 60kg. Unlike the Speedplay Ti spindles, they're also titanium / silicon nitrided, so should actually wear better.

I may look in the future but the stainless are fine forcme and the comoly are only going to be on the winter bike. Thanks anyway.