Giant Revolt 1 or Whyte Dorset

tbbhoiorg
tbbhoiorg Posts: 3
edited December 2015 in Commuting general
Looking for a sturdy commuter that can handle some gravel/off-road type stuff on the weekend. It comes down to one of these two bikes, and they're very similar.

I'm no expert, but my research suggests that the Revolt is slightly more of an off-road bike than the Whyte (takes wider tyres, shorter frame, top-bar brakes), but that the Dorset is perhaps a nicer ride.

My priorities are sturdiness, ease of maintenance, and performance (in that order), so I'm currently leaning towards the Revolt 1.

Any thoughts on either?

Links:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/cyclo-cross/product/review-giant-revolt-1-14-48644/
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/cyclo-cross/product/review-whyte-dorset-14-48640/

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I am a big fan of Whyte bikes and my hybrid has done thousands of km both on tarmac and gravel. There have been some good things said here about Pinnacle Arkose. The GT Grade Alu is reckoned to be best of breed for around £1000 gravel bikes

For a little more than 1000 (and extra 100 quid or so) you could pick up a Kinesis Crosslight and Buildkit - it would require a lot of putting together; but firstly you would have the fun of building (which personally I love but YMMV), secondly you will have the assurance that things have been done as they should (as long as you are careful), and finally you will get a superb frame with 105 groupo. The new 105 was great the only time I tried it and gets rave reviews and the frame is just as good as you will get at that price point.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    A spec sheet isn't every thing but the Arkose and GT grade are much better spec'ed.
  • Thanks a lot guys, so basically for £1000 you should be getting 105 components not Tiagra?

I have seen a lot of rave reviews of the Arkose and the GT Grade Alloy, presumably the frame is reckoned to be better for off-road stuff?

P.S. imatfaal, is that an Ozymandias reference?
  • N1TRO
    N1TRO Posts: 103
    Maybe toss a look at a Felt V55 - about what you're looking for, but maybe a few pounds more.

Also, as I often point out, maybe one of this year's Diverge models? I just got one recently, you can read more about it on my blog. Pictures there as well.
  • I have a Revolt 1 - it's certainly robust enough to cart my 95kg around. Paid under £800 for mine and as parts wear out (or the fancy takes me), I'm upgrading them - so it has a 105 rear mech & a CX50 crankset on it - bottom bracket.