Selling an older bike

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,660
edited January 2016 in MTB general
Hi Guys

I have still have my first "proper" MTB - a Ti Cotic Soda (one of the old frames) - which has lived in my Parents loft for several years now. I'ts in reasonable knick as I upgraded quite a lot of it when I moved over to Holland but then ended up buying a more XC race oriented 29er. As time went by I stopped using it and eventually had to make space by taking it home. I occasionally use it when I go home but we re talking maybe a few token times a year.

For example it has a full XT group (2 x 10 spd, the most recent iteration but no clutch mech), a Reba Fork and a set of superstar/Stans 26in wheels. Although all of it maybe old in years it has actually been ridden very little and so is all still in good condition.

The dilemma is what do i do with it? If I decide to sell it should I sell it complete or in parts? I can't see me getting a lot for much of it on ebay and I suspect that it is not really old enough to be a "retrobike" yet. If all I was going to raise was a couple of hundred quid, I'd rather put it on the wall (not that I have one yet) for prosperity and leave it at that.

I ve sold the odd spare part in the Classifieds here but never a whole bike so what would people recommend? (i'm not looking for a valuation, more a sort of tactical plan/feasability study)

Thanks for your help
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• Keep it.

It's not as old hat as you are making it out to be.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    No, I know - the trouble is that it's not being used, but that's becasue of logistics not becasue it's "old"
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Hi Guys

I have still have my first "proper" MTB - a Ti Cotic Soda (one of the old frames) - which has lived in my Parents loft for several years now. I'ts in reasonable knick as I upgraded quite a lot of it when I moved over to Holland but then ended up buying a more XC race oriented 29er. As time went by I stopped using it and eventually had to make space by taking it home. I occasionally use it when I go home but we re talking maybe a few token times a year.

For example it has a full XT group (2 x 10 spd, the most recent iteration but no clutch mech), a Reba Fork and a set of superstar/Stans 26in wheels. Although all of it maybe old in years it has actually been ridden very little and so is all still in good condition.

The dilemma is what do i do with it? If I decide to sell it should I sell it complete or in parts? I can't see me getting a lot for much of it on ebay and I suspect that it is not really old enough to be a "retrobike" yet. If all I was going to raise was a couple of hundred quid, I'd rather put it on the wall (not that I have one yet) for prosperity and leave it at that.

I ve sold the odd spare part in the Classifieds here but never a whole bike so what would people recommend? (i'm not looking for a valuation, more a sort of tactical plan/feasability study)

Thanks for your help

Its probably worth more in bits, if you can sell all the bits. I would happily give you two hundred quid for it. just to get the rebas knowing I could get at least my money back on selling the other stuff off
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Keep it - unless you are desperate for some cash or your parents want their loft back

If you must sell it, you'll generally get more if you break it up.
  • If it were mine then I'd keep it. However, if you want rid of it and bent get any joy from it then it makes sense to sell.

If you do decide to sell then let me know - It's just what I'm looking for although it's mainly the frame and forks I'm after.

As others have said, selling the bits may be more profitable but selling whole is easier.

If you're unsure of value then £1 no reserve eBay auction is the way to go as it will always find its fair market value.
  • I was going to suggest the http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum, then I saw your idea of an "older" bike has a 10 speed transmission. Lol! The MTB I'm riding most at the moment has an 8 speed LX/XT transmission :D
  • Strip it down if you really want to get rid, stick the parts up for sale on here, evil bay and Pinkbike. Bit of a pain to post every item off but you'll make more money that way (I've done this myself a couple of times).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I just sold a set of broken 26" Rebas on Ebay for £120, I think I only paid £150 off a local forum 2 years/5k miles ago when fully working :lol: I'd just split, Ebay the lot and use the money to upgrade something on one of the bikes you actually use. Never underestimate how much stuff will sell for on Ebay. Any 'niche' items that may only attract one bidder may be better off as a best offer than an auction.