Installing shimano crankset spindle

dwanes
dwanes Posts: 954
edited December 2015 in Workshop
A little help needed please!

I have installed the Shimano BB86 Press-fit Bearings, these went in smoothly, looks good, aligned and smooth.

When pushing through the Shimano (Hollowtech II) crankset the spindle goes through (tightly)and comes through the other side, but will not all the way though for some reason.

I have given it a bit of a clout but it refuses to go the last bit.

Any advice to get it all the way though without doing any hammer damage to my lovely Dura-ace chainset ? Thanks.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    A little help needed please!

I have installed the Shimano BB86 Press-fit Bearings, these went in smoothly, looks good, aligned and smooth.

When pushing through the Shimano (Hollowtech II) crankset the spindle goes through (tightly)and comes through the other side, but will not all the way though for some reason.

I have given it a bit of a clout but it refuses to go the last bit.

Any advice to get it all the way though without doing any hammer damage to my lovely Dura-ace chainset ? Thanks.

From my past experience of builds with Shimano HT2 cranksets they do tend to need some extra "persuasion" to get the last little bit of the spindle through the BB bearings. Rather more than you would normally expect but at least it means that the bearings have a very snug fit on the spindle.

I have resorted to a wooden mallet with some cloth or other padding on the central area of the crankset to prevent any damage.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Stick the crank in the freezer for an hour for a slightly easier fit. Probably OK to give it a good bump as mentioned but I would freeze it just for the piece of mind.
  • dwanes
    Stick the crank in the freezer for an hour for a slightly easier fit. Probably OK to give it a good bump as mentioned but I would freeze it just for the piece of mind.
    A great idea, makes sense, will give that a go tonight. Cheers
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    He'll be back tomorrow with 'frozen crankset shattered when bashed' story... :)
  • Rubber mallet - clout - job jobbed.
  • That sounds a bit of a swine for maintenance, as I like to remove my Shimano cranksets (105 /Ultegra) on a regular basis to clean them.
    My set up is a lot easier with external Shimano bearings the cranks just push in and out easily, makes maintenance a doddle and actually a rather satisfying job, as I find the cleaner you keep the drive train components the longer they last and they require less 'adjustment'
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Sounds obvious,but have you greased the spindle and bearing surfaces?
  • dwanes
    Yes the spindle and bearing surfaces were well greased but that last bit wouldnt go though even with a firm whack with the ball of my hand, it was tight going through the first bearing also.

BUT, the freezer trick and a firm(ish) clout with a block of wood/ hammer did the trick :D

So thanks to you all for your advice.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That sounds a bit of a swine for maintenance, as I like to remove my Shimano cranksets (105 /Ultegra) on a regular basis to clean them.
    My set up is a lot easier with external Shimano bearings the cranks just push in and out easily, makes maintenance a doddle and actually a rather satisfying job, as I find the cleaner you keep the drive train components the longer they last and they require less 'adjustment'

It should be the same with the pressfit bearings. I have BB86 on one bike and a standard threaded BB on the other, with the appropriate Shimano bearings in ech. I can swap cranksets quickly and easily between the bikes, and the triple especially comes off pretty frequently for cleaning.

I suspect the OP's crankset will be become easier to remove / refit each time.
  • dwanes
    That sounds a bit of a swine for maintenance, as I like to remove my Shimano cranksets (105 /Ultegra) on a regular basis to clean them.

It should be the same with the pressfit bearings. I have BB86 on one bike and a standard threaded BB on the other, with the appropriate Shimano bearings in ech. I can swap cranksets quickly and easily between the bikes, and the triple especially comes off pretty frequently for cleaning.

I suspect the OP's crankset will be become easier to remove / refit each time.

I would agree, after all the bottom bracket is mainly plastic build, i'm sure after hundreds /thousands of miles there will be plenty of give in there and things will loosen up.