Aero wheels for racing

GGBiker
GGBiker Posts: 450
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Thinking about getting a new set of wheels for racing, budget is under £500 and ideally looking for something fast and light for racing to save a few watts if possible.

Ideally I am looking for a balance of light weight and aero. In an ideal world I would probably run clinchers or tubeless for convenience but I am considering tubs also as they can deliver the light and aero better than alternatives. Aero wise I am looking for something with some objective evidence of performance ideally.
There seems to be some evidence recently that clinchers might also offer lower rolling resistance than most tubs these days. Could probably live with taping on tubs but wonder how effective it is in practice.

Interested also in a wider rim again for possible benefits in rolling resistance/aerodynamics.

At the moment I am considering the following:

Planet X CT45 tubs: light (1380g), seem to have good aero credentials (basing this on them being a copy of a zipp like toroidal rim profile) cheap at £350, serviceable parts wise. Anyone used these to comment on performance/braking?

Shimano RS81 C35: proven aero benefits in tests (think it was Tour magazine did some testing on these and they are almost as good as the C50 aero wise while being lighter and easier to handle). Maybe not as serviceable but they aren't going to get heavy use of reserved for racing. Cheap around £350 also, excellent braking on alloy rim but weight higher at 1630g but only actually 130g more than the Dura ace c35 which costs about £600 more. Also comes in a tubeless version but can't find these for sale anywhere online.

3T mercurio 40mm tubs . More expensive but under £600, seem to have some good technology behind them, unusual spoking and hub set up with nipples at hub but can't see it would be a problem. Very light at 1350g

Any opinions/experiences of these or others worth looking at?

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    try superstar components. they're assembled in lincoln using reynolds rims. i bought some this summer after recommendations on here.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I'd go with the PX, or look at Zuus or some of the sales (canyon had some Reynolds carbon clinchers half price on Monday).

I have 2 sets of superstars carbon wheels (46 and 66) and wouldn't recommend them at all.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Zuus? You can't be serious...

Problem with the Superstar wheels is the hubs. The rims have proven to be solid with great braking although not the fastest shape.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Zuus? You can't be serious...

Problem with the Superstar wheels is the hubs. The rims have proven to be solid with great braking although not the fastest shape.

The hubs and the fact they appear to be using children to build them. Definitely agree on the rims they are Great. I had mine rebuilt and the braking has been excellent. But the build quality was terrible. But no point dragging that up again there is a very long thread if OP wants to have a look.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    If they are for Time trialing (you say 'racing') you can't go wrong with Zipp 60s. I got a pair for 750 euros.
    You know they are good from an aero point of view, and although they are weighty they aren't going to hold you back in a TT. A great pair of wheels for the money.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Chinese clinchers. Just make sure you get them for a reputable source like Carbon Zone or Farsports. I've got a set of Farsports, 38mm deep front and 50mm rear (23mm wide) and once I had the spokes tensioned properly they are brilliant.
  • Cycle Division have a nice range to suit your budget, or chinese imports from Yoeleo.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Farsports 38mm 25mm wide tubs. or the 50mm ones. the hubs will last a season, and then you can drop in a set of hope hubs or something more fancy. the 50mm ones I have are extremely quick. they don't brake wonderfully though!
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    I've raced on Shimano RS81 C50s for a couple of seasons, can't fault them. Looking at trying a pairnof lighter rims next year to see if it helps, but I'm a good few kilos lighter than most of the racers around me so an extra 300g at the rim isn't going to change the world. They're also ready to service, which is good because nothing is filthier than a fast peloton in wet conditions - closely packed, no mudguards, no avoiding puddles...