My new 2016 season bike, TREK fuel ex 9

emseens
emseens Posts: 146
edited June 2016 in Your mountain bikes
So!
I finally got my new bike. It is 2016 TREK Fuel EX 9 29''. Already ripped off crappy sram parts and sold it to my friend.
Put Shimano XT cranks 34t chainring, Bontrager Rhythm pro 50mm stem, Bontrager Rhythm 820mm handle bar.
5ki3q44u40oc0quyx70s.jpg
Waiting for other shimano parts, XTR rear mach and shifter.
Mean while, having fun in the shop. Put stache wheels in my frameset :D
swz8kc280u3ha3blenyh.jpg
Fork spacing was excellent, in the rear was 3mm spacing on every side.
P.s. still my old bike in classified section and ebay.

Comments

• emseens
    Got first winter ride on my new bike.
    Disappointed with weather, usually in December we have snow, or at least minus degrees, instead we have +10, rain and strong wind.
    What I can say about bike, need to fiddle with suspension, air pressures feels wrong or I haven't used to larger suspension travel. Handlebar is little bit to wide, and 34t ring could be to large for me.
    Everything was superb, rolled much faster then my 2015 supefly fs, feel good about my decision to swap superflt to fuel ex.

Full spec for now.

Frame: Trek Fuel EX 9
    Shock: FOX CTD Reaktiv EVOL
    Forks: FOX F34 CTD fit4
    Handlebar: Bontrager Rhythm carbon 820mm
    Stem: Bontrager Rhythm pro 50mm

Brakeset: Shimano XT m8000
    Rotors: Shimano XT
    Shifter: Shimano XTR m9000
    Rear Mech: Shimano XTR m9000
    Cassette: SRAM XG-1180

Saddle: Bontrager Evoke2
    Seat Post: Reverb

Cranks: Shimano XT m8000 Boost 34t ring
    Pedals: Shimano m780

Wheelset: Sram Roam 30 Boost
    Tires: Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO 2.25

y4uqti5nct8mf5yzjrx8.jpg
    m6vr4q7qyd5y6p78s2s2.jpg
    7so2w500wbky7ru3pc04.jpg
  • Nice bike ! I love this color !
  • emseens
    Thanks!
    In life, this color is a little bit greener. I'm not a big fan of this color, but I'm used to it.
  • I like this bike so much I'm selling my Tarmac sworks to make funds for it. What size is yours ? Does it pedal well ? As a roadie I'm a climber,I need a direct imput kind of bike.
    Why everyone bitches about Sram roam 30s ? People hates them...
  • Those are some incredibly wide bars for an XC bike. Quite a fan of the Fuel, but the off-colour seat stays look a bit odd.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I like this bike so much I'm selling my Tarmac sworks to make funds for it. What size is yours ? Does it pedal well ? As a roadie I'm a climber,I need a direct imput kind of bike.

Sounds like you need a hardtail.
    The SRAM wheels aren't very strong for their weight and getting spares for the hubs can be tricky.
    SRAM's mountain bike components generally aren't as good as equivalent priced Shimano or others.
  • Love it TREK fuel ex 9! :)
  • emseens
    I like this bike so much I'm selling my Tarmac sworks to make funds for it. What size is yours ? Does it pedal well ? As a roadie I'm a climber,I need a direct imput kind of bike.
    Size 19.5''
    My last years bike was superfly fs 9, it would be more suitable for you. 2016 top fuel 9 has sram hydro lock out system, which would come handy for fast aggressive climbs.
    As for this bike, slow cadence climbing an rolling feels much nice then superfly fs, longer travel fork isn't good for stand up pedaling, but I think, better air setup will help. Haven't fiddle with it yet, hope to have next ride in Christmas.
    Sram roam 30 wheel... 24 spokes, rim is to narrow, freehub looks like unfinished design, weight is ok, rolls really smooth.
    P.s. ordered DTswiss 350 boost hubs, can't decide on rim choice.
  • I like this bike so much I'm selling my Tarmac sworks to make funds for it. What size is yours ? Does it pedal well ? As a roadie I'm a climber,I need a direct imput kind of bike.

Sounds like you need a hardtail.
    The SRAM wheels aren't very strong for their weight and getting spares for the hubs can be tricky.
    SRAM's mountain bike components generally aren't as good as equivalent priced Shimano or others.

Can't beat the crap out of my back with a hard tail anymore.Where I live even an Epic has a lot of limitations..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lovely looking bike, personally I like the 'invisible' seat stays, that said when I tried an EX I didn't like the 'remote' feel of the rear suspension, but that's a very personal thing. Enjoy!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • emseens
    02.01.2016 had a small ride at -18degre centigrade.
    Everything was frozen, suspensions was stiff, dropper barely moved, but one thing I noticed, wheels are crap. Feeling was like I was riding with flat tires, wheels float around on every bump.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    At lower temperatures, the air in your tyres will compress more - resulting in a lower overall pressure. When the temp is this low, you would need to put quite a lot more air into the tyre to compensate for this.

Are you really surprised the suspension and droppers were stiff at -18C ? And do you not keep the bike somewhere a little warmer than that??

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • emseens
    If you decided go for a ride, you can't order warmer temperature. :D
    I pumped tires outside based on feel not pump.
    I'm surprised that my bike is in one peace, because this happened with one pure scott's owner before the race.
    cV-VhcL1IShjMHd-8JtnjI8I4hHbOWBp_2sRDz_GaNWc-2dytrpheNdBdceAoHznS5R3r5-yLNggRol_BZTZvwb-uJo8lDA7ntbzi1ELUHmHgh8jddvXmFBonFHcFtVGdTIWOmuPETiczyTbeywbqy1xJaM1X3im8adQAM33DoD7LxxdJZlQdkEvxEZiulyUC9jwosvd5zyU_vyJOitZlJl_DEbrthTdJ3tKS2LLH79Qx_WizBx7_rmfTsMIP5usJzRvhiWSFbaU_pc2ETApWHIDxzWXKfFudrAMA7NPNXNutRIhBQs6T0iCaCEhx6yDN6GBRNunvwEXkb66uG7pthE6W8rxb0YwO1X7wmUg4CBVEfQT0WgM4xHUznQG_X8FoD46qg1T-H94OtE5qJ_i1yV2rPIuOTmHTi-rHasS8upPrC4INDEVBq2vftW16OV_OqoevXN_KmH7a2mXrsWG6xEXUKDVk5-EJ5xnVf8aHwTBE-76FPf-BrPgcB1Y2jmpJURTiNiIZaSHcBumDC3Y4yBOr8jCIgIpNLYGWCR0r51ScBaru9y5EBrtGBdAi-NAkVAYNQ=w1022-h767-no
    Scott spark 900 2015
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    If you decided go for a ride, you can't order warmer temperature. :D
    I pumped tires outside based on feel not pump.
    I'm surprised that my bike is in one peace, because this happened with one pure scott's owner before the race.
    cV-VhcL1IShjMHd-8JtnjI8I4hHbOWBp_2sRDz_GaNWc-2dytrpheNdBdceAoHznS5R3r5-yLNggRol_BZTZvwb-uJo8lDA7ntbzi1ELUHmHgh8jddvXmFBonFHcFtVGdTIWOmuPETiczyTbeywbqy1xJaM1X3im8adQAM33DoD7LxxdJZlQdkEvxEZiulyUC9jwosvd5zyU_vyJOitZlJl_DEbrthTdJ3tKS2LLH79Qx_WizBx7_rmfTsMIP5usJzRvhiWSFbaU_pc2ETApWHIDxzWXKfFudrAMA7NPNXNutRIhBQs6T0iCaCEhx6yDN6GBRNunvwEXkb66uG7pthE6W8rxb0YwO1X7wmUg4CBVEfQT0WgM4xHUznQG_X8FoD46qg1T-H94OtE5qJ_i1yV2rPIuOTmHTi-rHasS8upPrC4INDEVBq2vftW16OV_OqoevXN_KmH7a2mXrsWG6xEXUKDVk5-EJ5xnVf8aHwTBE-76FPf-BrPgcB1Y2jmpJURTiNiIZaSHcBumDC3Y4yBOr8jCIgIpNLYGWCR0r51ScBaru9y5EBrtGBdAi-NAkVAYNQ=w1022-h767-no
    Scott spark 900 2015
    Christ on a stick! At least it was before the race. Gotta be a warranty claim there
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Imangine this happening on a steep, rocky descent where you push hard to gain some secs...

NONoNOnO!!!
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • This bike is on my bucket list, some point in the future i'll get one
  • emseens
    Ask me in October, I ride my bikes only one season. As I work in trek shop, I can offer this bikes with full warranty.
  • emseens
    Finally made some new wheels.
    DT swiss 350 hubs with cheap Blackjack Ready 25 rims and DT swiss competition spokes.
    Big improvement from roam 40 wheel set. Rear wheel feels more stable and don't make scary noises anymore. Rims are wider so footprint is bigger, traction is better. Starting to like my bike.
    o58de4lir1v47p80w34y.jpg
  • emseens
    The Rookie wrote:
    Lovely looking bike, personally I like the 'invisible' seat stays, that said when I tried an EX I didn't like the 'remote' feel of the rear suspension, but that's a very personal thing. Enjoy!
    I'm starting to feel what you are talking. I think it is rear shock fault. I can't pump it hard enough for my weight. On singletrack it's OK, but on hard flat surface it feels like riding flat tire.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Find the same shock on my Remedy 29er really active so be interesting to see what your weight is. You can get volume spacers from Fox to help the shock out and make it a little more progressive.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • emseens
    My weight is just under 90kg with full kit. Next ride I'll try to pump max pressure in, right now it's 280psi.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    I'm a similar weight and running around 205psi without issue. Sounds to me either you're absolutely smashing it and probably should have a Remedy or there is an issue with that shock.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • emseens
    Ok, then I write some questions to TREK, because you can't ''smash it'' in Latvia.