Mixing Shimano and Campag

mamil314
mamil314 Posts: 1,103
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Would appreaciate some advice from Frankenstein knowledgeable cyclists. Although there should be Campag hydraulic brakes coming out in 2016, i bought myself a set of 685 shifters and callipers for the winter. I was thinking to swallow loss of Chorus shifters and replace whole groupset until i saw a picture of Ultegra 11sp crankset - just.. wow. DA slightly better. If i get Shimano front and rear derailleurs, could i keep my 11 sp Chorus crankset? It's currently with TA rings.
Some web browsing revealed that Shimano and Campag cassettes should be interchangeable (freehub permitting), but i am not sure if that would have more friction or increased wear rate? What about a chain?
Thank you

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Basically you can mix 11 speed cranksets, cassettes and chains as you wish.
    Shifters and derailleurs should match (same brand) to work properly without modifications, bcause the ratio cable pull/pitch is not the same.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I think that your chain set,chain and cassette are interchangeable. Somebody will soon tell us if I am wrong.

You are spending far too much money here to have a frankenbike. You have to have a Campag bike or a Shimano bike. You can have TA. FSA, etc on either. The combination of both to achieve a technically better bike is not a valid reason to have anything Campag on a Shimano bike and vice versa. IMHO.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Thanks, derailleurs ordered. I admit i am not keeping Campag crank for better performance - for all i know, ultegra could be just as good.