Correct headset for GT Avalanche 2.0?

rambino
rambino Posts: 45
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I've been told I need a ZS44 but the only one of those I can find (Cane Creek 40 series) receives negative reviews

I bough this FSA Orbit Z headset instead and I can't see why it won't do the job but another contributor here at BR says it won't fit.

OD of frame is 50mm; ID is 44mm

What say you?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One is internal and has no cups - these are built into the frame.

The one you need has cups.

As you can see from the pictures, they look very different.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    He,ps to keep it in one thread, ZS44, zero stack or semi integrated is what you need, there are hundreds out there, if you only found one you weren't looking very well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I've been told I need a ZS44 but the only one of those I can find (Cane Creek 40 series) receives negative reviews

I bough this FSA Orbit Z headset instead and I can't see why it won't do the job but another contributor here at BR says it won't fit.

OD of frame is 50mm; ID is 44mm

What say you?

Can't see why that wouldn't work. You need a ZS44 headset and that looks like a ZS44 headset, complete with press in cups (that's what the two silver things under the black head cone are). They don't look like two naked bearings (which is all you'd get in a integrated headset that requires no cups). The inside and outside diameters are all correct for a ZS44 headset so, again, i can't see why people would think it wouldn't fit. You'll just need to figure out some way to press the cups into the frame (i use a fret press for a guitar).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They make an integrated and semi intergrated with the same basic code. That does look like cups. Looked like bearings at first glance.
    But for ease of reference, both cane Creek and Parktools have headset finders.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Spoke to the guys at Chain Reaction Cycles and they assure me it WILL work. Too late though, I ended up buying a Cane Creek headset 40 series instead.