Headset Help Please

quarkrad
quarkrad Posts: 51
edited December 2015 in Workshop
I've just bought an unbranded frame that has a 1-1/8''to1-1/2'' headset - the attached picture is the headset supplied. This headset is 132g and I'm think of purchasing a lighter one but I'm unsure what type to buy. I think I'm answering my own question but I'm not 100% sure what type to buy. What type of tapered headset is this?

Comments

• bobley
    bobley Posts: 60
    Given that there are no cups/spacers/inserts then its probably an integrated headset. Looking at CRC they only do one fully integrated 1-1/8" - 1-1/2" headset from Ritchey with the following ODs so you can measure to confirm.

Upper bearing O/D - 41.8mm
    Lower Bearing O/D - 52mm

but it weighs 132g so I doubt you'll find anything much different. (i.e. they're all made from steel)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ritchey-comp-drop-in-headset/rp-prod112212

This one is called "internal" but sounds like much the same.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/pz-racing-cr7-3-internal-headset/rp-prod94832

some of the steerer plugs may be lighter though???...
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    For the amount of weight that you might actually save with any new headset, just have a few gulps out of the bidon before you put it in the cage at the start of the ride and save a few quid.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    132 gr is most of the weight of the bearings themselves, so it will not be much lighter except full ceramic but that's nonsense...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    You could probable save some Grammys by getting a lighter bung but for the bearings etc as above - ceramic will be lighter, but it will cost.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    what kind of weight saving are you expecting to make? 30g?
  • Sorry for delay in replying and thank you for your responses. It appears to me I have got caught up up in these 'large' numbers game chasing potential large gains that in reality are too small to be worth it. At the moment I'm thinking I might as well fit the headset that was supplied.