First bike in 15 years...

cam_mcgurn
cam_mcgurn Posts: 3
edited December 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi all, decided to buy a bike after moving to a new house where there's plenty to go at and to build some fitness. After speaking to a family member about it decided to buy a bike from them that's been sitting in their cellar, a 2012 trek 6500 which hasn't been used much and seemed a decent spec for a bargain £400. As its not been used for a couple of years how would you go about servicing it before using it for the first time? Also, the front brake lever feels very stiff like there could be too much pressure in the system? Any help welcomed, cheers

Cam

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/trek/6500-2012 for specs

The Avid Elixir seem to suffer from standing, following the bleed technique usually sorts it, also remove the wheel and pull the lever to push the pads out (not too far!) and then lever the pads back (a table knife works well) in case the pistons have got a little sticky.

Clean the chain of old lube as it will be manky now, relube with a good lube (many on here like 'squirt' its water based wax lube, stays clean but you MUST follow the intructions).

The forks will need some TLC, wipe down the stanchions with a clean cloth and then apply a VERY LITTLE lube such as some fork oil, cycle up and down a few times and repeat to clean any gunge out, the air pressure will probably be down a bit and you'll have to set it for your weight anyway, so buy or borrow a shock pump.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the reply mate will be sure to do the mentioned when I get it out this weekend. He gave me a fork pump with the bike so will be having a go at getting the right pressure inside the fork aswell.
  • If you are unsure of what to do most bike shops do a bronze service which is basically a mot check. So they will make sure everything is safe and working properly for around £25-£30

the brakes I would reframe from taking any oil out just yet. If it has been sat for some time it is not the oil that is causing the stiffness. Get yourself some good quality silicone spray and stay it inside the lever. Do not disassemble the lever just lean the bike over onto the floor and stay inside and work the lever a bit.

Then remove the wheels from the bike and using an old disc or something that will not damage the pads push the pads/pistons back into the caliber and keeping the implement in the caliber then pump the brake. Then push the pistons/pads back in again. Do this a good few times to free up the caliber pistons.

After doing these two things your brakes should feel great. But if you need some more advice please feel free to message me