New rear derailleur!

N3uI09
N3uI09 Posts: 16
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, I am looking for a new derailleur to my GT Avalanche, since the old one is worn out.
I drive 3x8 speed, but my google skills tells me that a 9 speed rear derailleur, also fits for 8 speed. I am fairly new to the world of cycling, and i would just want to be absolutely sure that this derailleur will fit my bike! it is this one, i talk about: Shimano Deore XT M772 SGS

My bike is a 2010 GT Avalanche 2.0 fitted with a standard derailleur at the moment, which is a Shimano Deore Shadow.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will work fine. Cable pull for 6, 7, 8 and 9 speed is the same.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • y2keable
    y2keable Posts: 349
    Just remember to adjust the limit so that you don't shit into a 9th gear that isn't their.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
    [:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]
  • cooldad
    Shifting is controlled by the shifters, not the mech.

Eight speed shifters obviously won't have a ninth click.

But limit screws are a basic adjustment anyway when fitting a new mech.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very restrained reply CD!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Victor Meldrew? Screw you.

This is the season to be jolly CD.

Or maybe I'm just slipping.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools