edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
So bike2work has reared its beautiful head again and i have quite a quandary;

a) Get a proper superbike at a vastly reduced price
b) a unknown (but well reviewed) frame with di2
c) go tried and tested with a ribble/planet x ultegra/di2

a) is a cannondale superset evo SRAM red less than half price

b) merlin cordite (rebadged ridley) with di2

c) Ribble stealth or Planet x RT-80 both prob with ultegra or di2

all are online so test rides are near impossible.

thanks in advance

alan

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    if you get a) or b) you will wonder about c) - which I believe is a Pauls cycle special.
    Buy only if you are certain of your size!
  • Mccrear
    Mccrear Posts: 256
    so.... get all 3 and eliminate any doubt?! :D

di2 is such a strong pull... but the cannondale is crazy price for a great bike.

hmm.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Sorry I mean a) is the one you will wonder about -the Cannondale!

If it fits you ( not too aggressive) it is an amazing bike.
  • rob.m
    rob.m Posts: 89
    Get the Cannondale.
    It's never too late to become what you might have been...........
  • If you can afford it why would you not get the 'dale? I'm baffled as to why you're even asking to be honest.
  • Mccrear
    the pull of DI2 is the only reason, plus most planet x/ribble riders love them. didnt want to just get a "brand" name and not give others a fair shout.

but i agree, get 'dale and then in 2 years ill get SRAM e-TAP instead of another bike2work....
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I've got a SuperSix for "fair weather" and a CAAD 10 for "foul weather" and I don't find either one too aggressive. In fact I don't even use all the spacers for the bars.

I'm 6'0 and both are size 56.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I thought bike2work was limited to £1,000, and to be used for, you know, bikes that you might ride to work? Not criticising, just curious as to how relaxed things might have got.
  • Mccrear
    so it will be used for work...sporadically. but tbf the rules state that this isnt a measureable metric for them to judge you against. The £1000 is just the limit for tax relief, anything above that is an agreement between you, your employer and the company. Also the bike wont belong to me until the end of the hire when an nominal admin fee is applicable.

im very lucky to have a very good employer who is happy to support this stuff and makes it easy to do so. I would look into it further if you are interested as its an incredible benefit to be able to take advantage of.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    The difference between 6800 mechanical and 6870 DI2 is far far less than the difference between the Cannondale frame and any other on your list, in terms of quality of ride

Buy the 'dale.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen