Cervelo vs Scott sizing

mekileen
mekileen Posts: 3
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Im currently riding a 2011 cervelo s2 size 61 with 110 stem.. im going to be ordering a new 2016 scott foil team edition but im very nervous about the sizing..does anyone have any experience with the 2016 sizing yet?
i feel very comfortable on the cervelo but i do feel that the hoods are a little far for me, i have always wanted to shorten the stem but i just havent..anyways, i get confused looking at geometry from both bikes.. when i was fitted for the cervelo i was barely too big for the 58 so we went with the 61.. i dont have the advantage of the profesional fitting before bike decision this time around.
6'2 185lbs with 35 inseam

thanks for any help..

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Who did your fit? You must have some 'unique' morphology to need a bike that big. Do you have a picture of you riding it?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Likewise. I'm 6'1", 34" inseam. In Cervelo, I ride an R5VWD in a 56 with 2.5cm layback post and 120 stem, and an S5 Team in a 58 with the saddle in the forward position and a 110 stem (I have to use a -17 degree stem to get the front low enough). The S5 feels like a big bike (I bought it to get the reach with a forward position); I can't imagine wanting anything larger, and you're only an inch taller than me.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Interesting info 964cup. I'm the same dims as you, and I've been thinking about building up a cervelo over the winter. All my other bikes are 58"/110stem/zero set back post, so I was assuming a 58 in the cervelo would be about right, but I think I'm going to have to look at the sizing a little more closely. Rightly or wrongly, I've always thought that a stem >110 and a setback seatpost is an indication of a frame that's too small, but that's probably more to do with personal preference.

OP, - when ordering a frame, I'd say it's a good idea to send your bike fit dims (assuming you've had one) to the supplier and get them to confirm which size is right for you, - and also send the frame dims to whoever did your fit and get them to confirm they agree and it's within your ranges.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    It's very much personal preference, and riding style. Like everyone our size, I'm at the upper end of a nominal 56 frame and the lower end of a nominal 58. I generally work on getting my knee over the pedal spindle (except on the S5, which is only really used for laps of Regent's park, so does very little climbing, and shortish rides) and on getting an 11cm saddle to bar drop (measured to the hoods, not the tops) and a 74cm nose of saddle to hoods diagonal measurement (using a 42cm c-c bar). This means balancing saddle fore-aft, seatpost setback, stem length and bar reach. It's this last that is often overlooked - reach values on the bars I have used vary from 70mm to 83mm, so more than making the difference between a 110 and a 120 stem.
  • thanks for the help on this.. all the chatter was very helpfull.. i got out the tape measure and compared cervelo to the geometry for the scott..im going to go with the 58 in the scott, it seems like it will be perfect.. i tried to upload a photo because someone asked for it but for some reason the photo wouldnt load.. anyways..thanks again for starting up some conversation for me on this.. i will post a follow up when the bike comes in and i get to spend some time on it.. till then...back to the trainer in the basement!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As rough guide reach and stack measurements alone give a good indication. For more accuracy take account of stem / bars, saddle / seat post and finally crank size. That way you get a bike you tweak slightly to fit you based on your original bike.