Shorts/Trousers/Helmet/Gloves advice

dong888
dong888 Posts: 11
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm completely new to mountain biking so I'm getting kitted out. Grateful for any advice.

Here's what I've narrowed my choices down to:

Shorts: Endura MTR Baggy or Singletrack II
Trousers: Endura Singletrack II
Helmet: Bell Super 2
Gloves: Endura Full Monty/Troy Lee Air/Endura fs260 ???? too much choice...

Would you recommend both trousers and shorts, and do they usually come with padding?

Thanks

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Some do, some don't - endura humvee shorts come with inners

I'd reccomend trying them on for fit as teh size guides often don't seem accurate. If theres an evans near you they usualy have a decent selection of Endura pants and gloves.

Again gloves, deffinatly try on.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    edited December 2015
    I use Lycra under shorts (reduces chaffing) or leggings with padding in them then decent unpadded MTB shorts over the top. Have summer and winter leggings, summer only really to stop scratches/stings. Decathlon water proof jacket (£12) for emergencies (stays in bag most of time) seal skin socks for wet weather, Decathlon under layers, various T shirts and a decent wind jacket/light shower resistant with detachable arms. £3 buff from Decathlon to keep neck warm and Decathlon skull cap for under helmet if it's really cold.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    I use Lycra shorts (reduces chaffing) or legging with padding in them then padded MTB shorts over the top. Have summer and winter leggings, summer only really to stop scratches/stings. Decathlon water proof jacket (£12) for emergencies (stays in bag most of time) seal skin socks for wet weather, Decathlon under layers, various T shirts and a decent wind jacket/light shower resistant with detachable arms. £3 buff from Decathlon to keep neck warm and Decathlon skull cap for under helmet if it's really cold.

Yes go to decathlon or Aldi and you can probably get the lot for 30 quid. Which I would hazard a guess its a lot less than Evans will charge ?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Endura is quality kit. The MT500 shorts are decent value and have lasted me years. Troy Lee jerseys are great quality and Rose Bikes have them at a decent discount.
    Gloves and helmets need to be tried for fit. Bell helmets are the wrong shape for me and are quite uncomfortable. I quite like Fox helmets and find them really comfortable. Getting the right helmet is worth some effort to get one which is the right shape.
  • JGTR
    I found the quality stuff to be extremely expensive, hence I kitted myself out with the cheap stuff (which works fine) and replace it with decent stuff when I can afford it/birthdays/Xmas. Helps to have spare gear for weekends away
  • JGTR
    I use Lycra shorts (reduces chaffing) or legging with padding in them then padded MTB shorts over the top. Have summer and winter leggings, summer only really to stop scratches/stings. Decathlon water proof jacket (£12) for emergencies (stays in bag most of time) seal skin socks for wet weather, Decathlon under layers, various T shirts and a decent wind jacket/light shower resistant with detachable arms. £3 buff from Decathlon to keep neck warm and Decathlon skull cap for under helmet if it's really cold.

Yes go to decathlon or Aldi and you can probably get the lot for 30 quid. Which I would hazard a guess its a lot less than Evans will charge ?

Yep, but I did invest in quality shorts and jacket, currently using a bell helmet but hopefully upgrade soon. My shoes were £15 Muddy Fox from Sports Direct which to be fair are still going strong after 2 years!
  • Thanks for al the advice..really useful
  • rockmonkeysc
    Because I fall off a lot I find it cheaper to buy quality kit. Cheap kit doesn't seem to survive crashes as well.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Surely if you're just starting out at mountain biking you could ride for a while in clothes you already own. Other than that it's just gloves and a helmet that you need. Both things need to be tried on as Rockmonkey suggested. They don't need to be expensive but they do need to fit properly.

True.. Just depends I guess.. I Rode for about a year before buying bike specific stuff.. In hindsight though I would have bought gloves and shorts sooner as I ruined a pair of regular gloves and wore through a couple of pairs of shorts that I liked.
  • brianbee
    Surely if you're just starting out at mountain biking you could ride for a while in clothes you already own. Other than that it's just gloves and a helmet that you need. Both things need to be tried on as Rockmonkey suggested. They don't need to be expensive but they do need to fit properly.

I think the guy has bought a bike and now feels he should buy the ''uniform'' so he looks the same( at least similar) to others on the trail. Perhaps he feels that others will not take him seriously unless he has''RAD'' gear
  • brianbee
    m

Yep, but I did invest in quality shorts and jacket, currently using a bell helmet but hopefully upgrade soon. My shoes were £15 Muddy Fox from Sports Direct which to be fair are still going strong after 2 years!

Is the Bell helmet made to a higher CE standard than a Decathlon helmet or is it a premium price for its brand name ?
  • JGTR
    m

Is the Bell helmet made to a higher CE standard than a Decathlon helmet or is it a premium price for its brand name ?

Is that a serious question or are you being sarcastic?? I don't know, it came with the bike when I purchased it as part of a package.

I personally don't mind paying extra for "premium" things at times, I'm fully aware that sometimes you pay more for the name but it's nice to have nice stuff sometimes, everyone loves a bit of bike bling and new tech! It's no secret that how something makes you feel is one of the main reasons for purchasing, marketing 101. Generally the premium stuff does last longer though and performs better aswell.
  • brianbee
    m

Is that a serious question or are you being sarcastic?? I don't know, it came with the bike when I purchased it as part of a package.

I personally don't mind paying extra for "premium" things at times, I'm fully aware that sometimes you pay more for the name but it's nice to have nice stuff sometimes, everyone loves a bit of bike bling and new tech! It's no secret that how something makes you feel is one of the main reasons for purchasing, marketing 101. Generally the premium stuff does last longer though and performs better aswell.

No its a serious question, For many years Bell have sold very expensive motorbike helmets that thanks to British standards were no better than ones half the price. I wonder if they had extended this marketing trick into bike hats ?

If its not any better at protecting your noggin, it cant really be called a premium product. Just an over priced one
  • JGTR
    m

No its a serious question, For many years Bell have sold very expensive motorbike helmets that thanks to British standards were no better than ones half the price. I wonder if they had extended this marketing trick into bike hats ?

If its not any better at protecting your noggin, it cant really be called a premium product. Just an over priced one

I always thought Bell was a budget make anyway?????
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bell make both cheap and expensive helmets. Easy to find at under 20.

All helmets sold have to comply with the minimum EU standards.

Best advice is one that fits. I find cheap Bells, and some Giros feel the most comfortable for my odd shaped head.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • brianbee
    m

I always thought Bell was a budget make anyway?????

Your the one that suggested it was a ''premium product '' and therefore better than a decathlon one ?
  • cooldad
    Really. I thought he said just the opposite.

Do keep up brianbee.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JGTR
    Think this thread is dead now :P
  • rockmonkeysc
    How did a simple request for kit advice turn in to this crap? This is what's wrong with Internet forums.
    All it needs now is for someone to compare someone else to Hitler.
  • How did a simple request for kit advice turn in to this crap? This is what's wrong with Internet forums.

Everytime i log on to have a gander there seems to be more nit picking, sarcasm and bitching.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    How did a simple request for kit advice turn in to this crap? This is what's wrong with Internet forums.

Everytime i log on to have a gander there seems to be more nit picking, sarcasm and bitching.

Whatever ;)
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I think the guy has bought a bike and now feels he should buy the ''uniform'' so he looks the same( at least similar) to others on the trail. Perhaps he feels that others will not take him seriously unless he has''RAD'' gear

You really are quite the Bell End, aren't you.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    Hitler was a bellend.

Oops.

Godwinned.

</eot>
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Most important things I grab when getting ready are:

Thermal bib type longs
    Merino wool baselayer ( marvelous bit 'o kit. I hope I get buried in it. )
    Buff ( can be ear warmer, neck warmer or full over the head warmer 'periscope mode' )
    2 pair thinish Woolen socks ( others might prefer sealskins )
    Cheap fleece type gloves or builders gloves ( with rubber palms ).

Keeps me warm dry and still fairly warm if wet.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I prefer to to be warm than dry. Lycra tights keep legs warm even when wet. Good quality cycling socks, I don't like sealskinz but plenty of others do.
  • Had a set of sealskinz.. really good until a puddle splashes over the top and fills them with water.. then its wet... really wet
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Endura is quality kit.

True. Got their shorts and gloves and they're both super well made. I crash a lot because I'm rubbish and I've had lots of gravelly/rocky offs and there's hardly a mark on either. Looks like they're going to last forever. I'd have no hesitation buying more of their kit and I'm just about to get a pair of their winter gloves.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    I bought a pair of Endura high viz gloves for commuting, they're brilliant! I have even used them in a DH race, people too the piss but I had warm hands and beat both people who laughed at my commuting gloves.