Remove rear axle

langtounboy
langtounboy Posts: 55
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

My free hub is slipping and to replace it I need to remove the rear axle. I'm content with the traditional cup and cone type but this axle is baffling me. I've removed the hex screws shown but still nothing budges. Am I missing something or are they just seized!!!

CCA4E372-A035-494A-B3B8-9AFF10EBD61C.jpg

I have googled it but it's only the cup and cone type that comes up

Cheers for any help.
JOGLE Cube Aree GTC Pro -DONE
Summer Commuter Single Speed 90 gear"
Winter Commuter Badboy Lefty Single Speed
Hack Lefty with slicks
Dirty Lefty Taurine
Giant FCR2 not compact anymore + mods. STOLEN.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What wheels / hubs are they? There's several different designs of hub / axle and they all come apart in subtly different ways.
    To me those end caps look like they should just pull off.
    Alternatively you may have to unscrew the axle using different sized allen keys from opposite ends. Sometimes they are reverse threaded...

If you know what they are you can look for the manufacturer's technical info, and avoid buggering them up.

Plus if you need a new freehub you'll need to know which hub you have in order to buy the right one...
  • Took a deep breath, a pair of mole grips, copper drift, hammer and after a few squirts of penetrant - out it came. It was seized.
    It's a shimano compatible free-hub now just need to find an 11mm hex key; I've got every size from 2mm to 12mm except the 11mm :evil:
    Hack Lefty with slicks
    Dirty Lefty Taurine
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Took a deep breath, a pair of mole grips, copper drift, hammer and after a few squirts of penetrant - out it came. It was seized.
    It's a shimano compatible free-hub now just need to find an 11mm hex key; I've got every size from 2mm to 12mm except the 11mm :evil:
    My Shimano free hubs need a 10mm Allen key...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's not a Shimano freehub but a Shimano compatible one, they can all come off differently, mine for examples just pulls off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It's not a Shimano freehub but a Shimano compatible one, they can all come off differently, mine for examples just pulls off.

This is what i guessed.
    I did try to pull off but no joy. Looking at the shape of the internals it does look like a Hex Key.

11mm key in the post :)
    Hack Lefty with slicks
    Dirty Lefty Taurine
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    7/16" is popular as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.