Cube X race v Ridley X-night 10

2»

Comments

• LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    For 1900 you could totally build an Alu frame tcx with di2 hydro and some pimp wheels.

Totally.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    The trouble with the Boone.Giant thing is that I could have this for my first race on friday...

http://www.premium-bikeshop.de/shop/fahrraeder-bikes/cyclo-cross/norco-threshold-c105.html?options=cart#.VmYLG4krLDd
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Pretty. Thru axle though which i can you from experience is currently a ball ache to find wheels for, not a massive deal just something to be known.

How are they for mud clearance?
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • ddraver
    Worst comes to worst, with those thru axles I could just use my MTB wheels...

It's a canadian cross bike so I can't imagine it's too bad
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Well (Very small but significant) deposit paid on the Boone. Now cue a zillion conversations with the "Dads" about the best way to get from Cornwall to Newcastle...
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Well (Very small but significant) deposit paid on the Boone. Now cue a zillion conversations with the "Dads" about the best way to get from Cornwall to Newcastle...

Congrats. Good luck figuring out a route...
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Ah exciting times, did you end up getting it from KB?
  • ddraver
    Yup - long drive approaching...

You re not visiting any relatives in Cornwall over christmas are you Dan? Got room in the car for a small box? :P
    - @ddraver
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930

Up the West coast, turn right at Carlisle
    Me and a mate did Honiton to Newcastle in 5.5 hours (to be fair, it was a hire car, and there were no speed cameras back then :) )
    Whereabouts in Newcastle is the shop
  • ddraver
    Well, just outsiode to the West, so that was one of the routes I was looking at. I might drive up into Northumberland, do a ride and then drive back that way
    - @ddraver
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Northumberland's a nice place to ride, but we're starting to get snow on higher ground now. I had sleet on the way home from work today (near the coast), the first puncture of the year added to my joy :?
  • ddraver
    So to round this off, I had in my head that the bike cost £1500 which was already a stretch on the budget but worth it for such a good frame. Apparently it has always been £1800. I have no idea how I did that, is it some conversion between UK and EU confusing the website or something but it pretty much looks like it's back to square 1 again now. I had bought pedals and bars etc for it so i was all in!

No idea what to do now. I never thought I'd say this about buying a bike but I'm so thoroughly fed up with it now... I might just keep the money and go on a bunch of bike holidays...
    - @ddraver
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    It's obvious that you want a ready to race brand name bike, but seeing as you've run in to a brick wall, I thought I'd chip in.

Why not have a look at some of the Chinese frames that are available? I got mine (Flyxii)for use as a winter/gravel bike, and for £350 deld (f/f,seat post, headset) it has built up into an 18.5 lb bike for £1200. The really nice part is putting what you want on the build and not having to change parts.

It was TGOTB who was posting about these frames and made me take the plunge, and I believe he's a regular cx racer.
  • ddraver
    They did offer it for 1600, but it's too late to traipse all the way up to N'castle now.

The honest answer there is that I'm after something that I can trust a bit...Put bluntly I value the back up of having a proper customer service

The LBS are searching for a Crux in 52 now and given that that would be in a good sale and so much more realistic for my bedget and is what I'll go for. They were very helpful today and sat me on a few bikes of different sizes and sorted the sitation out...there is a lesson there
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Shame about the pricing/timing mix-up... Good luck!
  • Mach_6
    Mach_6 Posts: 24
    You've probably already made your decision and bought the bike, but in case you haven't I've got an X-Night and I love it. I'm average sized (178cm / 5'10") and the 54cm fits me perfectly. It's such a fast engaging bike and so much fun to ride and race... I must admit it nearly killed me on the first couple of rides as it's so responsive but after that you really appreciate it. I've raced it, done CX sportives on it, been out all day off road on it, and it's super comfortable. Lots of reviews I've read say "race only, too harsh for more than hour".... I don't get it.... it's a very versatile bike, and I always have a big smile after I've been out on it.
  • ddraver
    Thanks mach, I eneded up with nothing in the end (I confess I had no idea how close to the end of the cross season it was but it felt like I was walking into bike shops going HERE"S 1500 QUID, TAKE MY MONEY but nothing would ever work out). I ended up builing up an old road frame for the summer and I ll think about getting a cross frame later in the year

That Rapha Focus frame in the classifieds would have been perfect but it was to big :(
    - @ddraver