Company Uniform/Clothing

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited December 2015 in The cake stop
Little guidance required here.
My wife works in the NHS at a medical centre and they have just changed the uniforms. However they will only supply 1-shirt/blouse and 1-dress/skirt. And this is for a 5 day week. Any additional clothing has to be paid for by the employee.
I don't know about you lot, but this seems a totally inadequate kitting out for full time employees who are required by policy to wear a uniform. And for the Medical Centre to then demand the employees pay for anything over the 2 garments supplied, just stinks!
Which is what the employees clothes will be doing at the end of the week.

Your thoughts. Are their any employment laws regarding this, that could be used by the employees?
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    There must be sufficient uniforms provided to enable freshly laundered clothing to be
    worn for each shift or work session. This should include consideration of the needs of
    bank and agency staff.

http://www.rcn.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/78652/002724.pdf
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    My wife's an NHS physiotherapist, at some point during some negotiation physio's nationally agreed to supply and launder their own uniforms and were given some miserly pay bump to cover this (which has now been completely eroded by year upon year of below inflation pay rises). Be worth checking that your wife's profession isn't in a similar situation?

I know my wife is also on a slightly different tax code so she doesn't pay tax on her uniform costs. This was pointed out to her by a colleague's husband who is an accountant, otherwise she'd never have known.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    People who were required to wear certain clothing and pay for (safety shoes for example) got a tax allowance for this once upon a time. I don't know whether it is still active though.

Some employers take this tax allowance and then provide the clothing, which begs the question, "How much are they claiming back (not paying) for how little clothing?" Either way, it sounds like your wife is owed either clothing or the cash.

Edit:- I was typing this and doing other stuff as Graeme S was typing his reply, the tax coding might be what I was thinking of / referring to.

The older I get, the better I was.