chain rusting

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited December 2015 in Workshop
both my Shimano 5701 chains, are rusting, the only reason i can think of is the turps i soak the chain in is destroying the coating the chain has on, anyone have the same problem, Ive just bought some 6701 Ultegra chains but dont want to clean them with turps in case they rust.

Comments

• My chains rust if I don't dry them and relube. I think that's what they do
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Stop cleaning your chain that way. A good lube should never gunk up your chain. Personally I swear by rock n roll lubes. There maybe others too but a good one will leave your chain clean even in nasty conditions. I genually never clean mine i ride 20 hrs a week and they never get dirty and i get good mileage from them.

You have stripped out all the lube from the rollers in your chain and you are not getting enough lube back in. So you may have a clean chain but one that will wear at lot faster.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Stop cleaning your chain that way. A good lube should never gunk up your chain. Personally I swear by rock n roll lubes. There maybe others too but a good one will leave your chain clean even in nasty conditions. I genually never clean mine i ride 20 hrs a week and they never get dirty and i get good mileage from them.

You have stripped out all the lube from the rollers in your chain and you are not getting enough lube back in. So you may have a clean chain but one that will wear at lot faster.

I like the idea of something being self-cleaning but can't see a UK stockist.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm using 5701 chain on the best bike. I've given up taking chains off and dunking them in white spirit though. Now they stay on the bike and maintenance consists of a good wipe with a clean rag to shift any accumulated muck, sparing application of lube, quick spin of the cranks and a second wipe with another clean rag to remove any excess and a further helping of dirt. Seems to leave enough of a film on the outside of the chain to deter any rust. I do this weekly at this time of year, or straight away if I've been out in proper rain.

Chain only comes off now when it's worn out.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yeah, pretty much what has been said although I do try and take the chain off once a month to give it a good clean/dry/relube which also helps me keep an eye on it. Trying to keep something like a chain in tip top, showroom condition is simply not worthwhile or appropriate in my book (...it is also counterproductive and far too much bloody hassle at this time of year!).
  • Stop cleaning your chain that way. A good lube should never gunk up your chain. Personally I swear by rock n roll lubes. There maybe others too but a good one will leave your chain clean even in nasty conditions. I genually never clean mine i ride 20 hrs a week and they never get dirty and i get good mileage from them.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/new-distributor-for-rock-n-roll-lube/018523

:wink::wink:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Big tin of Jizer from motor factor - currently £20 for 5 liters.

Paint it on once a week - splash it everywhere, it won't affect the paint.

Hose off.

Dry off - compressor, hairdryer, towel, whatever.

Re-apply lube.

5 minutes, spotless chain, no rust, dirt cheap - tenth of the price of Muc Off as it's not trendy.

Job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/new-distributor-for-rock-n-roll-lube/018523

:wink::wink:

ahhhh!!!
  • Jizer. Lol. :lol:
  • What about cleaning with gunk then finish line dry or wet lube, Ive noticed that wiping with a rag only then re lubing still leaves grit in the rollers.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Why do some riders get obsessive about cleaning their chains in various agents? I dont get it. The chain requires lubrication far more than regular deep cleaning. You will see this if you ride for a few hours in very wet (often the case where I live) conditions, post ride the drive train will be relatively free of debris. Give the chain a clean with your chosen lube wipe off excess, repeat- job done. Check chain with checker, bin chain and re new when required. If you are not happy unless your bike is sparkling prior to and shortly after each ride then my chain technique will not do for you so carry on with the cleaning etc, also spend some money on one of those gadjets that has loads of wheeled brushes on!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will