Natural rubber vs. artifical rubber compounds

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited December 2015 in Road general
Just an idle thought but the natural rubber tread of a pair of veloflexes has lasted far longer than any vulcanised artifical compound I have used on the likes of ProRace4s or GP4000S. Tread on the veloflexes after 2000+ miles is almost as new, with only a few pin-prick nicks in the tread. Artificial compounds might be faster but they seem to pick up cuts and square off rapidly.

Doesn't natural rubber stretch to about 6 times its resting size before reaching its limit? When the elastic limit is exceeded surely a compound will break then wear away. Does the high elasticity of natural rubber account for the long life?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    All rubber tyres are vulcanised and AFAIK most use synthetic rubbers these days - natural rubbers aren't very stable and degrade quickly. I think your experience reflects the construction of the tyre - a combination of a very supple carcass and superior materials. Whereas the likes of Veloflex will use a high thread-count fabric, like 200tpi whereas some other brands say that 2 plies of 100tpi = 200tpi whereas in reality it creates a heavier, stiffer tyre.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • earth
    They are definitely higher TPI and they don't cheat by using the many layers to achieve it so the carcass is suppler as you suggest but their website says the tread is natural rubber. Challenge also state a similar construction. You don't think there is anything in the elasticity theory?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Didn't realise that Veloflex still used natural rubber - but it will be vulcanised to make it more resilient / stable. Interestingly there is a link between Veloflex & Challenge and Vittoria - Vittoria off-shored their production from Italy to Thailand. The folks left in Italy formed Veloflex and Challenge are made in the Vittoria factory in Thailand.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think that the Veloflex process is slightly different to most tyres with the rubber glued to the carcass rather than moulded in to it - hence why they are such a bugger to put on the first time. I vaguely recall something about less heat being required but could be wrong.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • earth
    Didn't realise that Veloflex still used natural rubber - but it will be vulcanised to make it more resilient / stable. Interestingly there is a link between Veloflex & Challenge and Vittoria - Vittoria off-shored their production from Italy to Thailand. The folks left in Italy formed Veloflex and Challenge are made in the Vittoria factory in Thailand.

I was aware of that and strangely all the tyres I am interested in using are from those manufacturers. Now that Vittoria are using Graphene technology I have another tyre on the list to try.