Wet weather grip. Vittoria Pave vs Conti 4 season.

shinsplint
shinsplint Posts: 565
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
As per title, I am trying to decide between these two, and my priority is grip in cold frosty conditions.

Anyone tried both??

Comments

• mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I've raced in Paves and always found them to be pretty good, but I have 4 seasons on the winter bike.
    Insert bike here:
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I used 4 season's for two winters and they were fine, nothing grips on black ice or frozen roads unfortunately.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    4 Seasons are pretty much as good as it gets as long as there's no snow or ice. But if you regularly see those conditions then you'll need studded tyres.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    edited December 2015
    If you’d be happy with a 23 mm tyre, an alternative is the Michelin Pro4 Grip (the important bit is the last word). This tyre is now available in a new version of the same name, variously labelled V2 or 2015 by shops (it comes in a tall blue and yellow box, whereas the original version came in a fairly square white and black box). I have used both ‘V1’ and V2 versions and they have remarkable grip in cold and wet conditions – better than anything else I’ve used, which sadly doesn’t include the two tyres you’re looking at.

A fourth option is the Vredestein Fortezza Senso Xtreme Weather. Read the review by ‘Russ999’ on Wiggle – it’ll be at the top if you sort the reviews by ‘Most helpful’.

Edit: fixed typo.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Pave provide the best grip in the wet but if there is ice be careful. When it icy I get the mtb out and go off road or fitted studded tyres to another mtb if I fear sheet ice.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks for all your replies :)

At the moment i'm using one of the first variations of the Michelin Pro4 on the front, and a Conti GP4000S on the rear. These are old tyres but they seem to be gripping well enough at the moment with a fair bit of tread left.

As you rightly say, nothing will grip in icey conditions, so i'm now thinking of sticking with these for this winter.

Will save about £60 on a new set anyway.