Fixed Gear bike suggestions

sam_commencal
sam_commencal Posts: 99
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
On Friday on my commute I was hit by a car and fortunately I don't have any serious injuries. However my Kona Paddywagon looks to be a write off. I'd like to replace it with another fixie but I'm having trouble finding something I like. I already have an alloy Specialized Langster but it isn't as comfy as my Kona. I have a geared road and a cross bike so please don't suggest geared or hub gear alternatives because the attraction is riding fixed :-)
The main thing is that I commute 130 miles a week so I want it to be fast but comfy.

Must have:
Comfortable road geometry
Drop bars with brake hoods (not bull horns, flat or pista style)
Steel frame. Preferably some nice tubing.
High end components because I'm a snob and I want it to last.
Fixed gear
Carbon Fork

Nice to have:
Disc brakes?

My current favourites are either the Genesis Flyer (£600), Condor Pista (£1200) or 18 bikes Monsal - assuming they could do sliding dropouts (~£1500).

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Disc brakes on fixed gear? What is your damage son?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Condor Pista is not ever so comfy geometry. You probably want to look at the tempo instead. (Great frame for sure).

As above, disc brakes on a fixed? Maybe up front.

How do you carry stuff on your commute? Do you want guards, rack mounts etc.?

In terms of budget, you have a fairly wide range there. If you want really nice high end components, you are probably best served building up from frameset only - certainly what I did with my tempo and put some tarty stuff on it.
  • Hey, thanks for your replies. I'll check the tempo out.

I'll scrap the disc brake idea. I can't find any disc/fixed gear hubs anyway.
    I mount my bag on the seatpost. It's a bridge street cycles saddle bag.
    I don't want rack mounts or mud guard mounts - I find I prefer the crud racer 2 plastic guards which don't use fixed mounts.
  • I have to ask, why not buy another Paddy Wagon?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    If you want disks, then get something like this:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-isolation-cx12-singlespeed-2015/

Then buy one of these:
    http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopdisc.html

Alternatively, there must be some kind of way to jam the freewheel and stop it freewheeling right?
  • LazyLoki
    LazyLoki Posts: 127
    Pearson 'Now You See Me' or, if money is no object, Condor Pista/Tempo.
  • That Pearson looks lovely!

I feel like a change from the Paddywagon. I think I'll scrap the disc brake idea too. Thanks for the suggestions so far! :-)