CatEye Volt 1200 VS Fenix BC30R 1600 .. which one to order ?

Mad Darsh
Mad Darsh Posts: 29
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello ,

i am really confused between those 2 lights
my budget around $140 and i was going to order cateye 1200
but i saw Fenix BC30R and am really confused now

could you help me to decide please because i need to make a choice tonight maximum

CatEye Volt 1200
http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-HL-EL1000RC-CatEye-Volt-Headlight/dp/B00FRMTEUI/

or

Fenix BC30R 1600
http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-percentage-rechargeable-LegionArms-charging/dp/B00ZYEA3BI

Help me asap please
thanks

Comments

• any one ?
  • Do you need all those Lumens?

I use the cateye Volt 400, which seems enough for road use
    left the forum March 2023

in my country yeah :cry:
    a lot of dark main streets , even the traveling high ways 75% is dark
    plus bad mannors of some car drivers here .. not looking before doors opining
    most of drivers here totally crazy .. traffic here in Egypt is crazy
    "sorry i didn't saw you" is the normal attitude here :D

in my country yeah :cry:
    a lot of dark main streets , even the traveling high ways 75% is dark
    plus bad mannors of some car drivers here .. not looking before doors opining
    most of drivers here totally crazy .. traffic here in Egypt is crazy
    "sorry i didn't saw you" is the normal attitude here :D

The lumens you need are a function of how fast you want to go... i find up to 30-35 Kmh 400 lumens are fine. The light is very bright.

With more lumens you generally just blind the drivers coming the opposite way
    left the forum March 2023
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    I have had the cateye for a month now and have been impressed. full beam is perfect for unlit lanes and I usually drop it down to the next level down which I think is 800lumens on busier roads and in town.
    I messed around with Chinese/ebay lights for a few years and this is much better.
  • I must admit I've not come across the Fenix. Interestingly there seems to be no stated run time for the highest 'burst' mode - the 1600 Lumen output.

I have been looking at the Cateye myself - the reported 2 hour run time for 1200 Lumens looks very good, given the 500 Lumen output of my current Moon XL500 is around an hour. The charge time does put me off a little though, given I usually charge mine after the commute to work (via the USB in my office PC), but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. An alternative might be the Cateye Volt 800, which has the same run time at maximum, but only a 5 hour recharge time, and 800 lumens is easily enough for my commute (I hope!). My XL500 is okay, but I sometimes feel like I just need that little bit more, given a lot of my commute is on unlit country roads with very little traffic. And the circa £25-£30 price difference of course.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    On the Fenix, the burst mode is enabled by holding down a remote switch (& keeping it held down) so testing duration for this wouldn't really be appropriate as it's only designed to be used in short bursts
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I've had the Volt 1200 for over 2 years now, and it has been nothing short of fantastic.