Gears "slipping", little ring only

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Setup is 10-speed sram force shifters, sram apex wifli rear mech. The gears slip on every cog. I've fiddled and fettled for weeks, the cable tension is fine (it's been at every possible stage of adjustment from just being on the verge of changing up to being on the cusp of changing down and all levels in between) and it still happens. Tried different wheels and cassette. The chain has no more tha 200 miles on it and is well lined up.

What have I missed? Bent mech hanger is the only thing I've not tried to fix. Could it be that? Bought the bike used so every chance it's been stacked at some point. Thanks!

Comments

• SLR021
    SLR021 Posts: 79
    Have you checked the front mech alignment, height and inner end stop ?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Remove the RD hanger and place it face down on a flat surface to check if it is bent. Have you checked the condition of the inner/outer control cable, try another chain to eliminate that.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Checking the hanger is the priorty, but you could measure the chain to make sure it's not 8sp or 9sp.
  • johngti
    Have you checked the front mech alignment, height and inner end stop ?

Yes, not since I installed it, yes. As its every gear, I was working under the assumption that it'd be unlikely to be down to the front mech.
  • johngti
    Remove the RD hanger and place it face down on a flat surface to check if it is bent. Have you checked the condition of the inner/outer control cable, try another chain to eliminate that.

I'll do that this evening. Fitted the cables myself, brand new. The issue's been there since day one but I guess it could be the chain. If needs must, I'll get a new 10-speed one
  • johngti
    Checking the hanger is the priorty, but you could measure the chain to make sure it's not 8sp or 9sp.

Definitely a 10-speed chain :)
  • johngti

I'll do that this evening. Fitted the cables myself, brand new. The issue's been there since day one but I guess it could be the chain. If needs must, I'll get a new 10-speed one

Hanger is off, put face down on a flat surface

There's a very slight gap, obvious but less than 1mm (probably much less - about the same as a decent quality birthday card board). Are they that sensitive? Anyway, a new one is £15 so it won't break the bank. I'll get one ordered and update the thread when its done..for the sake of posterity and all that :)

Thanks all!
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Shove it in a vice between two bits of flat hardwood, that should straighten it.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Make sure when you mount your mech hanger that you use an alignment tool so that you're certain it sits straight in your frame. A perfectly straight hanger can often still be skewed in the frame due to frame mount irregularities.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What exactly do you mean by slipping?

Does it feel like the chain is skipping forwards over the sprocket teeth when you stomp on the pedals? You say chain and cassette are new, but this can happen at the front too because the chainring is worn. How old / worn is the small chainring? Alternatively the freehub pawls may be sticking / faulty. Ditto; how old / worn is the freehub??

Or do you mean it's jumping from one gear to the next / sitting between gears? Bent or misaligned hanger, or rarely a faulty shifter to blame...
  • johngti
    Make sure when you mount your mech hanger that you use an alignment tool so that you're certain it sits straight in your frame. A perfectly straight hanger can often still be skewed in the frame due to frame mount irregularities.

Thanks for that - I'll make sure I do
  • johngti
    What exactly do you mean by slipping?

Does it feel like the chain is skipping forwards over the sprocket teeth when you stomp on the pedals? You say chain and cassette are new, but this can happen at the front too because the chainring is worn. How old / worn is the small chainring? Alternatively the freehub pawls may be sticking / faulty. Ditto; how old / worn is the freehub??

Or do you mean it's jumping from one gear to the next / sitting between gears? Bent or misaligned hanger, or rarely a faulty shifter to blame...

Could be the little ring... I'll investigate a little further. Thanks for the tip :)
  • johngti
    The teeth are rather pointy. I'll investigate further when I fit the new hanger.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    The more I think about this I'd say you need a new inner ring, I had this on my MTB middle ring earlier in the year. I thought it was a chain wear problem so fitted a new chain, the problem persisted, I had a new spare middle ring in the spares box so fitted that and no more slipping.
  • johngti
    The more I think about this I'd say you need a new inner ring, I had this on my MTB middle ring earlier in the year. I thought it was a chain wear problem so fitted a new chain, the problem persisted, I had a new spare middle ring in the spares box so fitted that and no more slipping.

I think you're right DJ. Thinking about the detail of how it feels when it slips, it's less like the rear mech playing up than I thought initially. Managed to grab a new pair of rings off eBay for £13 so worth a go. It'll be nice to get it sorted out :)
  • I had this issue on my 3 month old Ridgeback Speed. Whenever I applied the power it felt like the chain was skipping over the teeth on the rear two small cogs. I googled the issue and dismissed all but one of the answers I found due to the bike being too new. It turned out, I just needed to give the chain, cassette, mech and front rings a good clean and re-lube. :)
  • johngti
    The new chainrings and hanger arrived today. Have to say that I think the hanger was the culprit as the old chainrings didn't look particularly different to the new ones. Significant noise from the gears straight away so I'll need to do a full setup at the weekend but fingers crossed that the bike no longer tries to kill me!
  • The new chainrings and hanger arrived today. Have to say that I think the hanger was the culprit as the old chainrings didn't look particularly different to the new ones. Significant noise from the gears straight away so I'll need to do a full setup at the weekend but fingers crossed that the bike no longer tries to kill me!

Could you try cleaning it all first? ;)
  • johngti
    The new chainrings and hanger arrived today. Have to say that I think the hanger was the culprit as the old chainrings didn't look particularly different to the new ones. Significant noise from the gears straight away so I'll need to do a full setup at the weekend but fingers crossed that the bike no longer tries to kill me!

Since you asked so nicely, I'll give it a good clean at the weekend. That'll annoy the boss ;)
  • The new chainrings and hanger arrived today. Have to say that I think the hanger was the culprit as the old chainrings didn't look particularly different to the new ones. Significant noise from the gears straight away so I'll need to do a full setup at the weekend but fingers crossed that the bike no longer tries to kill me!

Since you asked so nicely, I'll give it a good clean at the weekend. That'll annoy the boss ;)

Put the old mech back on though (clean it too) just to be sure. ;)
  • johngti
    Don't want to jinx anything but the new stuff seems to have worked. I live on a hill and tried it out this morning - no slippage. We'll see how it goes!