Pyrenees February

phippss
phippss Posts: 96
Hi. I am due to go to the Pyrenees in early Feb :D . Will the passes be open to road traffic? What should I expect for weather in the mountains and around the lanermazan area. Many thanks

Comments

• Passes will be closed, waste of time.

In the best case scenario you might be able to do some of the lower climbs in the south/mediterranean pyrenees, but the northern/atlantic side will be closed
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    As above I'm afraid with regards the passes like Tourmalet and Aubisque etc.

The ski station access roads will be open and may be rideable to an extent, but it all depends on the weather during the time you are there as to whether you'll be able to ride on relatively normal roads or slushy/soaked roads. I'd exercise a lot of care when making a decision to ride as the weather can change very quickly and while riding up might seem safe, it's a whole different world riding back down...

That being said, in the Lannemezan area there should be plenty of riding if the weather is decent. The D26 is a great piece of road between Heches and St Bertrand.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • thanks for the replies, looks like I will have to plan my routes when I get there, and most probably head north from Lannermazan. Still a great choice of roads to explore. Hopefully the weather will be kind.
  • thanks for the replies, looks like I will have to plan my routes when I get there, and most probably head north from Lannermazan. Still a great choice of roads to explore. Hopefully the weather will be kind.

I wouldn't hold my breath... I've always found terrible weather in the Pyrenees
    left the forum March 2023