Comfy alternative to fizik arione

pastie
pastie Posts: 39
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I have a fizik arione cx saddle on my supersix, and looking for a more comfortable alternative that doesn't cut the **se off me.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    how long have you been riding on a road saddle and padded shorts?

if the answer is 'not long', part of the problem may be simply that you may need time (weeks) to get used to it, or it might not be correctly positioned

otherwise, bear in mind it's not the arione per se, the problem is it's not suitable for you

unless you want to buy saddles until you find one that suits you, the best way is to try lbs and see if they're got some 'test' saddles that you can try out

asking others for which saddle is comfiest is risky as everyone is different (unless you happen to get someone with the same shape/build/weight and bone/muscle structure as you)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I use a Specialized Avatar http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/saddles/roadtriathlon-saddles/avatar-comp-gel

But of course my harris could be completely different to yours!

If you have an Evans Cycles anywhere near you get 30 day trial on Saddles with free exchange, I did one swap don't know if there is a limit. Better check this but it was only last month. They told me I had 30 days to swap it.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    As Sungod says saddles are a personal thing,i ride an arione on my road bike and find it comfy,but according to the Fizik website i shouldn't because I'm defo a bull and not a chameleon,my other bikes all have Fizik Aliante's on them,a bit more supportive and forgiving saddle,but as others have said try some test saddles,there will be others like myself who have made the expensive mistake of buying a saddle they like the look of,but find out it doesn't suit them,me with a Selle Italia flight about £70 15 years ago,after 20-25 miles it felt like i had been kicked up the rear with a steel toe capped work boot
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My first ride on an Arione was 100m +.

It's a lovely saddle and very comfy. For me anyway...

You might want to try a charge spoon - that gets a lot of love and its a cheap saddle.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I have a fizik arione cx saddle on my supersix, and looking for a more comfortable alternative that doesn't cut the **se off me.

Any suggestions?

It's probably nothing to do with the saddle as arse pain seems to be linked to fitness, as I know that when I'm tired the first thing that I notice is arse pain.

The Arionne is a popular saddle, which I ride on my winter bike. Saddle pain can arise from the wrong shorts, saddle too high, not level, but most of all in my experience, being unfit.

Keep it up on that lovely bike!!!
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    I agree with the above that pain in the arse often goes away as fitness increases. I'm sure its to do with less weight being put on as the legs get stronger. I ride Ariones on both my road bikes and find them comfy for day long rides. But, if I have been off the bikes for an extended period of time and lose fitness I find they cause a bit of pain until my legs get it together. My solution is that I have a well broken in Brooks B17 which is comfy all the time (but weighs a ton), I stick that on for a couple of weeks to save the bum, then swap back. Works for me, of course breaking in a B17 in the first place may cause a bit more pain than the Arione.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Fizik have "test saddles" which are available at certain stockists. It might be worth trying out the Aliante and the Antares.
  • I use an Ares on my TT bike, which is based on the Antares. It's quite padded. The Spoon is a bit firmer. A lot of people including me get on well with it, so might be worth a try.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    LOL saddles are so personal! Just because lots of people find the Arione comfy, doesn't mean it fits your ar53! I had a Selle Italia Flite with mahoosive cutout which I utterly could not get on with, changed for a Charge Knife, which is soooooooo much better.

As others have said, this is one where the 'try before you buy' approach works. Plus you can sell your Arione and get decent money.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    You need to measure whether its getting worse or better - i.e. how long after riding does it occur ?

Do you have any pain off the bike ? - ie sitting on hard surfaces , driving etc....

My Ass pain was eventually a touch of arthritis where the hamstring joined the pelvis - lots of ass exercises and a brooks saddle was the answer for me.

You could also as a short term measure - whack a bit of chamois cream on your ass - common wisdom is that its only for longer rides - but I always put a smothering on even on 25 mile rides !

Oh yeah -padded shorts - no underpants !
  • I used an arione for about a year or so which always became a bit uncomfortable around my perineum on anything over 40miles. Tried the arione VsX which was really painful after just 10 miles, went for a saddle fit at my lbs and ended up with a Selle Italia Novus Flow and have never been so comfortable. I can happily spend 6 hours in the saddle without much thought. Obviously everyone is different, but that's been my experience fwiw.
  • Prhymeate wrote:
    I used an arione for about a year or so which always became a bit uncomfortable around my perineum on anything over 40miles. Tried the arione VsX which was really painful after just 10 miles, went for a saddle fit at my lbs and ended up with a Selle Italia Novus Flow and have never been so comfortable. I can happily spend 6 hours in the saddle without much thought. Obviously everyone is different, but that's been my experience fwiw.

What size did you get small or large ?
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    Prhymeate wrote:
    I used an arione for about a year or so which always became a bit uncomfortable around my perineum on anything over 40miles. Tried the arione VsX which was really painful after just 10 miles, went for a saddle fit at my lbs and ended up with a Selle Italia Novus Flow and have never been so comfortable. I can happily spend 6 hours in the saddle without much thought. Obviously everyone is different, but that's been my experience fwiw.

What size did you get small or large ?

I went for a large. I measured my sitbones by sitting on some tinfoil laid out on a step if it helps. If you need a small, they're on sale for £68 on wiggle.