Best Trails for Newbie

w00dster
w00dster Posts: 880
edited December 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys,
I'm a Roadie who is MTB Curious. I have rode a lot on Mountain Bikes, tow paths, fire roads and fairly gentle trails through woods/forests etc. However I would really like to give genuine mountain biking a go.
I live in the Midlands but happy to travel, maybe somewhere to stay over (pub B&B) to make a weekend of it, has to somewhere suitable for a beginner, fitness is pretty ok - well ok on the road anyway, I'd like somewhere with decent length rides as pretty used to 4 or 5 hours in the saddle.
Bike is a 29er Hardtail (Trek Superfly 6), so has to be suitable for someone with zero skills on a hardtail.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Comments

• If you really want to give "genuine mountain biking" a go and have "zero skills" then why not hook up a skills day somewhere? Get some great riding in and learn loads of decent technique stuff at the same time. Richard and Ian at B1KE https://www.b1ke.com/ offer an excellent range of riding and tuition at a load of locations.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Hi Guys,
    I'm a Roadie who is MTB Curious. I have rode a lot on Mountain Bikes, tow paths, fire roads and fairly gentle trails through woods/forests etc. However I would really like to give genuine mountain biking a go.
    I live in the Midlands but happy to travel, maybe somewhere to stay over (pub B&B) to make a weekend of it, has to somewhere suitable for a beginner, fitness is pretty ok - well ok on the road anyway, I'd like somewhere with decent length rides as pretty used to 4 or 5 hours in the saddle.
    Bike is a 29er Hardtail (Trek Superfly 6), so has to be suitable for someone with zero skills on a hardtail.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

4 or 5 hours wading through ankle deep mud will seem like an eternity,MTBing saps a lot more energy than road cycling Start of a bit more modestly and work your way up
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ignore brianbee, he's special. Forget wading through any depth of mud, riding is much more fun.

Most of the South Wales trail centres will have something suitable, somewhere like Afan. Blue Scar is a good start, a bit pedally for the rewards, but a relatively straightforward smooth trail, then progress to the Wall. Or Twrch at Cwmcarn is probably ideal for a day trip, and although graded red has nothing particularly technical, and after the climb up is a fairly gentle but long descent.
    None of the blue or red grades really have anything too scary, and the odd time it might be tricky, there's always a chicken run (I know them all.)
    Also never worry about taking it easy at first, or get off and push if something is too much.
    The main thing is to get to the end with a smile. How you do it, or how long it takes isn't important.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ignore brianbee, he's special. Forget wading through any depth of mud, riding is much more fun.

Most of the South Wales trail centres will have something suitable, somewhere like Afan. Blue Scar is a good start, a bit pedally for the rewards, but a relatively straightforward smooth trail, then progress to the Wall. Or Twrch at Cwmcarn is probably ideal for a day trip, and although graded red has nothing particularly technical, and after the climb up is a fairly gentle but long descent.
    None of the blue or red grades really have anything too scary, and the odd time it might be tricky, there's always a chicken run (I know them all.)
    Also never worry about taking it easy at first, or get off and push if something is too much.
    The main thing is to get to the end with a smile. How you do it, or how long it takes isn't important.

Twrch has been shut for the best part of a year to being deforested... also the climb up was one of the toughest trail centre climbs going, and the decent one of the rockiest though with no jumps or berm type features. Twrch comes down fast that most trail centres.

For a beginner I would potentially hit afan first, skip Blue scar head out on Penhydd instead though it clims up the same it has more natural feeling single track for a lot of the trail, then move on to the wall as above.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Oops haven't been to Cwmcarn for a while.

Slightly further is Brechfa. Red is a lovely trail, and blue good fun.

Please don't tell me Gorlech is closed. My favourite of all.

Had a friend who used to rope in newbies (his 'apprentices') and take them straight to the Wall or Whites.

A number of them never rode again, and I think a few might still be lying in the bushes up there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you are in the Midlands then Hicks Lodge near Leicester and Sherwood Pines near Nottingham are very very easy starter trails (useful shakedowns as well)

Cannock Chase isnt the best but may be a lot easier for you to get to for something a bit livelier.

Depending on where you are there are some clubs around with weekly weeknight rides on local trails in Cov' and Leamington Spa (may be more).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you are in the Midlands then Hicks Lodge near Leicester and Sherwood Pines near Nottingham are very very easy starter trails (useful shakedowns as well)

Cannock Chase isnt the best but may be a lot easier for you to get to for something a bit livelier.

Depending on where you are there are some clubs around with weekly weeknight rides on local trails in Cov' and Leamington Spa (may be more).

This is good advice. Road biking is all about endurance and controlled power. Mountain biking is more like circuit training with alot more bike handling skills. Both are good for fitness. Where abouts in the midlands are you as people can advise on good local rides as well for when things dry out next year.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hicks lodge is just a smooth gravel track, my wife enjoys a ride round it and she NEVER gets off the saddle, makes for a nice family jaunt though, Sherwood is only slightly more challenging (you could still ride it seated) especially if you add some speed on some of the slightly technical sections.

The Midlands is a big area though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I would say Cannock is a little dull but that's a personal opinion and I realise people enjoy different things. It definitely has no steep climbs, it hardly has any climbs at all! generally flat area.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would say Cannock is a little dull but that's a personal opinion and I realise people enjoy different things. It definitely has no steep climbs, it hardly has any climbs at all! generally flat area.

Cannock is extremely dull but there's nothing too challenging for beginners and as long as you don't think that because you can ride the black section there you can ride any black trail.
    Cannock is at least not as boring as Sherwood Pines, Ashton Court, Llandegla or Swinley.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Big jumps at Stile Cop? There's nothing big there. Me and five out of six mates did all of them on trail bikes quite comfortably and two of us have 120mm trail bikes.
    There is nothing technical on the main trails at Cannock. We started off riding fast but quickly run out of motivation. Stile Cop was slightly better but badly built and the hill is tiny.
  • Big jumps at Stile Cop? There's nothing big there. Me and five out of six mates did all of them on trail bikes quite comfortably and two of us have 120mm trail bikes.
    There is nothing technical on the main trails at Cannock. We started off riding fast but quickly run out of motivation. Stile Cop was slightly better but badly built and the hill is tiny.
    Ahh but Rockmonkey you forget we are not all riding gods like you, i personally enjoy a ride down there as i can get there in 45mins and there is a decent bit of variety to the trails. Yes it's pretty flat but pretty much perfect for a beginner.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • Its still pretty flat..
  • rockmonkeysc
    Big jumps at Stile Cop? There's nothing big there. Me and five out of six mates did all of them on trail bikes quite comfortably and two of us have 120mm trail bikes.
    Ahh but Rockmonkey you forget we are not all riding gods like you, i personally enjoy a ride down there as i can get there in 45mins and there is a decent bit of variety to the trails. Yes it's pretty flat but pretty much perfect for a beginner.

I'm far from a riding god. I used to be reasonably quick but can't really be bothered to put in the effort anymore.
    A boring trail is always boring no matter what your skill level. I have taken a complete beginner down a UKGE stage, it took him some time but he had a great time.
  • I would definitely recommend Cannock riding trails. There are options on every route so you can choose to do a more difficult and technical section or the lesser evil fun section depending on your skill level. Parking is pretty cheap and there is a great bike shop, cafe and even an ice cream shop in the summer. Perfect for any level of rider