Cycling with positive emotions

lucycling
lucycling Posts: 12
edited December 2015 in Road general
Survey link: http://goo.gl/Hoc1fB

Hi everyone!
Hope you are doing well and enjoy winter(ish) riding :)

My name is Joy, I am doing a research project about the subjective analysis of sports equipment and interested in how it could improve individual cycling experience; also looking for some cyclists to participate in my experiment.

Please help share your cycling experience via this link (http://goo.gl/Hoc1fB). It takes less than 5 minutes... cheers :)

Comments

• Just realised that I forgot to mention...
    You will be entered into a prize draw (a nice quality pair of winter cycling gloves) upon full completion. Good luck :wink:
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Just done your quick survey - not often have I seen a cycling survey which reflects on the emotions - interesting idea as I do mull a fair few ideas through my head when I am cycling.
  • Thank you, I like this project too! :D:D
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Got half way through and gave up.

terrible survey.
    No option for 4 bikes (1,2,3 or more than 4)
    one question is how far do you ride in a day, the next is how long in minutes is your average ride, not consistent (not how long in a day or average distance per ride).
    how much do you spend on your bike but no time period? today? nothing, in the past year? lots!

and for those reasons I'm out!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Did the survey last week. You didn't put 'self-righteous' as a choice.
  • Got half way through and gave up.
    terrible survey.
    one question is how far do you ride in a day, the next is how long in minutes is your average ride, not consistent (not how long in a day or average distance per ride).
    how much do you spend on your bike but no time period? today? nothing, in the past year? lots!
    I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't complete the survey because some questions are not stated clearly :(
    Questionnaire design is an art... Thanks for pointing it out!
    I have tweaked a little, e.g., option "more than 4" > "4 and more"
    Also I would like to thank everyone who filled out the survey 8)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Got half way through and gave up.
    terrible survey.
    I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't complete the survey because some questions are not stated clearly :(
    Hi Lucy, the last question on page 1 asks:
    "How much have you spent on your bicycle since you bought it?"
    Then underneath says "The one you ride most, not including accessories and maintenance."
    If you don't mean spend on accessories or maintenance, what do you mean? If you mean upgrades like new tyres, wheels, saddle etc. maybe that should be made clear, although I don't know why you don't want to include accessories or maintenance in the spend figure?

And sorry for being picky, but I would have changed the option above to be "4 or more".

Interesting survey - hope you post your analysis/conclusions on here when finished.
  • Got half way through and gave up.
    terrible survey.
    Hi Lucy, the last question on page 1 asks:
    "How much have you spent on your bicycle since you bought it?"
    Then underneath says "The one you ride most, not including accessories and maintenance."
    If you don't mean spend on accessories or maintenance, what do you mean? If you mean upgrades like new tyres, wheels, saddle etc. maybe that should be made clear, although I don't know why you don't want to include accessories or maintenance in the spend figure?

And sorry for being picky, but I would have changed the option above to be "4 or more".

Interesting survey - hope you post your analysis/conclusions on here when finished.
    Feedback is always welcome! So many mistakes tho... :oops:
    Actually I was trying to exclude items such like the helmet and the lights (accessories?), and service like bike fitting.. I should have chosen a clearer example..
    Thanks again and yes I would love to share the analysis when finished :D
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    I too was unable to complete your survey because of how some of it was worded.

What does "do you know your cadence" mean? Who in the world rides a bike whilst maintaining the same cadence at all times, uphill, downhill and on the flat?

Based on the way you've phrased it, the options given in the question on our top 5 positive emotions should all be nouns, but you've given a mix of nouns and adjectives. A worse fault is that some people may not experience 5 or indeed any of the emotions listed when they're cycling, and, if they don't, progress beyond that point in the survey is impossible.
  • What does "do you know your cadence" mean? Who in the world rides a bike whilst maintaining the same cadence at all times, uphill, downhill and on the flat?

A worse fault is that some people may not experience 5 or indeed any of the emotions listed when they're cycling, and, if they don't, progress beyond that point in the survey is impossible.
    True. But I think that’s the difference between a market survey and a research-based survey? There’s also a reason behind the “cadence” item, all I can say now is that we are looking for suitable participants :mrgreen:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Am I the only one who thinks this isn't really a university project? and they have just used loughborough uni to get people to complete their market research?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Am I the only one who thinks this isn't really a university project? and they have just used loughborough uni to get people to complete their market research?

Yes.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I had a go at it.
    It demanded that I must feel five of the listed emotions whilst riding my bike to work. I'm on the way to work not having a baby so I don't get that emotional, I selected five just to please the form.