Triban 500 SE looks good value - but 650 wheels?

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Mrs Bomp is interested in a real bike to replace her MTB for commuting. She's not interested in spending a lot and the Triban 500 SE from Decathlon is looking good - but in her size (51 seems about right) it comes with diddy wheels.
At the risk of importing the muddy types' wheel size controversies, can anyone shed any light on the desirability or otherwise of 650s on a road bike?

Comments

• There's a piece on road.cc today!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bompington
    Thanks, helpful. I hadn't realised that the idea was to have bigger tyres, I assumed it was just about making the whole thing smaller.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    I believe the new Cannondale Slate comes with 650 wheels as standard for that reason.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    650c are great for youngsters but would not want it for Mrs.
    Just ordered her a 48cm (not female specific) Cannondale and would not get 650c wheels even if it was an option.

Wheel and tyre choice/cost will be seriously affected, but if you never plan to change them then maybe it makes sense.
  • 650 s?

There's 650B and 650c... the former is for off road (27.5 inch) and there's plenty of choice for tyres, the latter is a small road size, for which there isn't much in terms of tyres, personally I wouldn't touch a 650c with a bargepole.

The two sizes are not interchangeable
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I assumed he said 650's and meant 650c.
    That's what small Tribans have don't they?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    650 s?

There's 650B and 650c... the former is for off road (27.5 inch) and there's plenty of choice for tyres, the latter is a small road size, for which there isn't much in terms of tyres, personally I wouldn't touch a 650c with a bargepole.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/road-race-tyres/650c-571-wheel-size/ not masses but still choice. The 650 looks more in proportion on the small frame size. My son has one cracking bike for the money bomp.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I run a 650c front on my TT bike (tubs), the availability of tyres (and rims/wheels) isn't brilliant - though there are a couple of decent options for all rounder road clinchers. It does make sense for smaller riders, but as far as I can see, the choice isn't widening, so caveat emptor.
  • bompington
    650 s?

Yes, I was referring to 650s as in plural. Website just says 650 and I wasn't aware that 650 could mean more than one size. Every day's a school day indeed.

Thanks to all for info and advice: currently trending a bit more negative than positive. I'm now thinking about going up the range to the 540, which doesn't have any of the weird wheel size malarkey - but does have clearance enough for studded tyres, something we find quite useful round here. A mere doubling of the price, but Mrs B is, for some strange reason, not keen :?
  • bompington
    650th post!
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    [quote I'm now thinking about going up the range to the 540, which doesn't have any of the weird wheel size malarkey - but does have clearance enough for studded tyres, something we find quite useful round here. A mere doubling of the price, but Mrs B is, for some strange reason, not keen :?[/quote]

What is Mrs B not keen on, the doubling of the budget or the 540 bike vs the 500SE :?:
  • 650th post!
    And apparently my last. The most bizarre thing happened: my account and all its posts vanished!

I was unable to contact anyone about this (the forumhelp email address bounced) and eventually I re-registered with the same username, fully expecting it to fail but hoping for some kind of explanatory note or error message. Instead, it created the account, thereby proving the system had no recollection of me at all. Surreal!