Shimergo novice question

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Hi will the current veloce 10 speed ergos work with all shimano 8 speed groupo's.

Was thinking of using an old shimano 8 speed group, 1055, 1056, tricolour 600 etc matched with the above veloce ergo.

Shimergo info here:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/components/transmission-gears/derailleur-gears/shimergo

Comments

• mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    I think you are pushing your luck there. Spacings and pull ratios don't match. Have a look at both Sheldon Browns site and more usefully the CTC forum. Try the technical section and search shimergo to start with.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    You can add another cog to your Shimano 8sp cluster and use a Jtek Shiftmate http://jtekengineering.com/resources/shiftmate-compatibility/ for Campag 10 shifters with Shimano 9sp cassette. The cogs are the same width for 8 and 9sp Shimano but you'll need the 9sp spacers. Of course the cost starts to add up for all the extra bits but it will shift well. Contact Jtek to better answer any questions.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Why not just buy a shimano splined campy spaced cassette and cut out all the hassle?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Why not just buy a shimano splined campy spaced cassette and cut out all the hassle?

Works if you can leave out at least 1 cog and the cassette consists of loose cogs.
  • Campag 10 ergos work with Shimano 8 speed groupset. It shold be flawless
    left the forum March 2023
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Using what rear derailleur?
  • old shimano
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

Works if you can leave out at least 1 cog and the cassette consists of loose cogs.

Sorry - don't really understand.

Are you saying that the Shimano splined cassette only works if you take out 1 cog or that you can use any cassette if you take out 1 cog?

Many thanks.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moonbiker
    Thanks ugo

I like the idea of it so i can have hidden shifter cables with 8 speed.

r u sure ergo will have the right pull ratio for shimano brakes?
  • Thanks ugo

I like the idea of it so i can have hidden shifter cables with 8 speed.

r u sure ergo will have the right pull ratio for shimano brakes?

In theory yes, then in practice these things always need to be tried
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    If you want to buy the Shimano splined , Campag spaced cassette why not just go 10 speed? Much easier. Older 10 speed Ergos cope with many mechs and you may get away with it. It did for some years. Later ones are more fussy :evil: but a rear Veloce mech isn't that dear.
    I currently run New Veloce Ergos and matching mech and a 105 cassette. Works just fine.
  • Moonbiker
    If you want to buy the Shimano splined , Campag spaced cassette why not just go 10 speed? Much easier. Older 10 speed Ergos cope with many mechs and you may get away with it. It did for some years. Later ones are more fussy :evil: but a rear Veloce mech isn't that dear.
    I currently run New Veloce Ergos and matching mech and a 105 cassette. Works just fine.

Looks like the lower group campag veloce ergos, have being downgraded/changed from ultrashift to powershift : :roll: , alot of the shimergo bikes people have I think are using older ultrashift models.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37734.0

From the online info I read it seems you don't (or didn't with the ultrashift anyway) need a veloce campag cassetes as an 8 speed shimano ones where/are compatible with 10 speed ergo.

Hard to find a complete list of components people are using including what brakes though.

My newest road bike atm has 8 speed downtube, & this group will be for a new frame that hasn't got downtube bosses :(

Whole thing is abit complicated might just end up get a new 5800 group instead as they now have hidden cables. 8).

11 speed isn't suppose to be as durable though i wanted 8 speed for durabilty = buying chains/cassetes less often.