Winter weather gear advice

gforrow
gforrow Posts: 28
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Chaps,

Appreciate that there are numerous threads dotted around with this question, but as a newbie to road cycling, would like to get specific advice in one place. Hopefully that makes sense, I'd rather not spend hours trawling through the search and multiple pages of threads and still be none the wiser.

So, I need to get some warmer gear, for cycling to low single figures, certainly nothing arctic.

Some sort of merino based base layer.
Thermal type bib-longs
warm socks
Overshoes
thermal gloves

I have a hardshell jacket which will keep the wind off and any rain, should I venture out when its wet :)

I am not after spending masses of cash, been trawling the likes of Wiggle, Chain reaction, BobShop etc, but so much to choose from, don't want to make an expensive mistake.

So please help a beginner/newbie make a sensible decision in order to keep me riding through the winter. I am looking at getting gear this week, black Friday offers and all that, so hoping you guys that have been riding for a lot longer than me have go to gear that you can recommend. Also know that everyone is different, but if there is some common ground out there, that will help me as well.

Cheers, hopefully as I get more into cycling, only had the bike a month, I can participate more on here and share my knowledge as an older, later starting cyclist.

Many thanks,

Gary

Comments