Help us build the ultimate commute backpack!

gandharv
gandharv Posts: 4
edited April 2016 in Commuting chat
Hi,
Firstly, I hope it is appropriate to ask this here - if not, please do tell me and I'll take care of it! :D

Coming to the point, I am a co-founder at Lumos (Bangalore-based startup) and we need your help in building the ultimate commute backpack. We are currently working on the Lumos Ninja and the Lumos Nox. ! In both the Ninja and Nox, we have in-built EL-lighting that will help light up the cyclists and make him/her more visible. You can help us by giving us qualitative feedback on the backpack or just tell us what features you would like to add to the commute backpack! Since this is still at the prototyping stage, we can make incorporate your wish-list!

Thanks and I look forward to your feedback.
Gandharv

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    In terms of size and features, then just copy something like this as they've done it already
    http://www.deuter.com/DE/en/bike/superbike-18-exp-32114-76.html

I'm not bothered about a built in light, especially a faint blue glow. I'd prefer something that is easy to hang/fix a light to so that I can pick my own.
    Also, 'Ninja - Master of the Ancient Art of Commute' sounds more than a bit wanky.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    100% waterproof, Light and needs a place where i can clip on a light.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Sculpted back so that air can circulate. Passive reflectors as well as light. Range of sizes - like you would get with a jacket or jersey; I know they adjust but it would be nice to have good fitting
  • Doesn't need a nerdy bike symbol on it, people following you will work out you're on a bike and why put off potential non biking customers?
  • External Dlock loop

A lighting system would just add bother to me as its something else that I would require to keep in power whether rechargeable or replaceable batteries.

It has to be 100% waterproof as well
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any rear facing light must (should if you believe that laws aren't a must) be red.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gandharv
    gandharv Posts: 4
    Hey,
    I had asked for feedback many months back. Thanks to all of you for your feedback! After all the feedback, I went back to the drawing board and redesigned the backpack. On another forum, I was advised to add in indicators, brake lights and "to be seen" front lights too - so I took that feedback too! This is how it looks now:

h1sebecdfz8vgz82nkcj.png

page-design-elements-04_gbmdct.png

Based on the feedback (and some other forums) it made it obvious that the rear light HAS to be red. I removed the "cycling" symbol as well! And added curved passive reflectors to make sure it was visible from all angles:

clmleuymav5sbvailn8h.png

I did launch this on Indiegogo https://igg.me/at/Aster . However, it is still a work in progress - do tell me what you think of it. I guess the best way to improve safety is just to get a larger percentage of the population to join in. Short of that, if you think of any other features that might potentially improve commutes, please do suggest!

Thanks again for all that feedback months back - it made me re-think the backpack in that form!
    Gandharv
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Is it 100% waterproof? Generally zips aren't. If it's going to leak or get damp in an hour long rainy rude then I'm out. I'm not going to put clothes or papers in it, nevermind a laptop.

My ultimate backpack is the Alpkit Gourdon. It weighs almost nothing, it is completely waterproof and its compressable.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • So much for the opinions we gave.

Zips across the whole front of the bag is not idea.

Also not a fan of the lights as its something else you are going to have to keep charged as I origanlly suggested.

Also that pattern is very similar to another brand of cycle luggage.

I think I will stick with a ortlieb messenger bag or just a dry bag in a back pack.
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Although in general ninjas are very cool and awesome a ninja on a bike is a twunt who rides around in the dark in dark clothes with no lights which is not very cool at all.

At the other end of the scale too much high viz and and flashing lights are also rather uncool.

You also get those funny lights that project an outline of a bike onto the ground which seems quite dorky to me although some people tend to like it.

Projecting an image of a ninja onto the ground would be quite cool especially if he was armed with shuriken.

I also think reflective stuff can be quite cool and very useful at night. If you were making a bag it should have reflective detailing such as piping which could be arranged to look very nice indeed.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Actually quite like the lighting, better than I thought it would be (assuming the pics above are realistic).

Assuming it has some ventilation for the back...my main other comment would be to keep it simple colour wise (must not clash with kit ;) ) and keep the logos etc to a subtle minimum. I'd like it to look nice in the daylight in other words :)
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Hmm, looks really interesting with those lights around it, but the big zip is an instant no-no - it's not covered, so will leak in the rain. If you have to keep them there, how about a the zips themselves being covered by a waterproof flap, and/or a inner "seal", similar to what you get on a wet suit?

However, I'm really surprised that the white lights on the front, highlighting the cyclists face, are so high up - I wouldn't want to be trying to look left or right/behind me with those where they are currently.
    Equally, it's very difficult to determine distance & speed from a single light, so as much as I'm liking the side profile red bars, they could do with being supplimented with another one, possibly lower down, woven into the straps. That allows correlation of lights to be 1 object, and then the drivers can determine speed and distance from the parallax between the two.

Just my tuppence worth
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Lights on the shoulders will effect the riders natural night vision
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    feedback you say.....

I like:
    the reflectors look good
    the side lights (i think they are lights and not just red reflectors) - I often think i'm at my least visible from the side
    the 'in case of emergency' thing is a good idea but needs to be somewhere unmissable to someone else as they wouldn't be looking for it and it could easily be missed.

I didn't like
    Being waterproof is a deal breaker
    the whistle looks unusable as it is too low down.
    brakes and indicators are a bad idea, drivers aren't expecting bikes to have these so will just think they are normal flashing lights.
    Front lights would be really annoying and affect the rider's sight
    the dangely bits on the zips would be annoying (basically anything that makes a noise or rattle on a bike is the bane of my life!)
    How would you open the zip without everything falling out?
    would definitely leave you with a sweaty back

To sum up! I think other companies already do a lot of that and better. You might be better off making the good bits (lights, in case of emergency, reflectors, various holders (d-lock, helmet etc) able to be retro fitted on to existing bags.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The whole rucksack should have and IP68 water resistance rating when correctly sealed.

The EL lighting should be powered by a battery that is integrated into the pack.

The battery should be able to be charged by solar, piezoelectric shoes and dynamos.

The battery should be able to power/charge smart phones and USB lights, bike computers etc... essentially it is an integrated high capacity portable battery.

Indicators? No one wants extra switches on their bars so how do they work, mercury switch on the bars, sensor in a glove, signals Smartphone/cycle computer navigation app?

Brake lights? Switch integrated into the brake lever or accelerometer based? If accelerometer based how do you tell if deceleration is due to a hill, freewheeling or active braking?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Biggest problem I have with backpacks is that the back of my helmet hits the top of the backpack.

Also, too many gimmicky lights, reflective material is cool, the more the better (within reason).
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Too late. Deuter beat you to it.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I've had the same Timbuk 2 bag (the original made in the USA design) for over 20 years and it's still going strong.

To come up with something that will make me want to trade is going to take some doing!