CX v Gravel

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,391
edited November 2015 in Cyclocross
Hi Guys

next nerdy bike question. I'm torn between the two On-Ones/PX cross/adventure options. The most important things are vaguely the same but the two important variances are that the BB is 15mm lower on the gravel bike (BishBashBosh) and the chainstays are a lot longer (15mm longer). So the question is, will those things make the gravel bike utterly unsuitable for cross racing? I'm not going to be challenging De Heer Nys anytime soon...

XLS (s) BBB (s)
Headtube 120 140
Seat tube 510 500
Top tube 516 534
seat angle 74.4 73.2
head angle 71.2 71.2
wheelbase 1022
chainstay 425 440
BB Drop 60 75
Reach 370 365
Stack 529 571

Edit - crap, the table doesnt work...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• ddraver
    (Alternative options - Canyon inflite 9 or Cube CX Race SL. Bad points - Alu frame, Good points - Shimano...which after incidents with SRAM at the weekend I currently consider a major plus...and both are priced in Euros, which is a lot of help for me)
    - @ddraver
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    BB Drop 60 75

thats the biggest issue i think. Although its pretty much down to preference now i think...

Found what I was looking for. http://www.cxmagazine.com/bottom-bracket-height-dropping-in-cyclocross-bike-geometries
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    There's nothing wrong with aluminium for cross, although there are better geometries out there than the Cube. The Canyon is a decent all-rounder, which is okay for racing, which is what it sounds like is what you are looking for. Worth looking at CAADX while you're browsing this category of bike.

The new CX Race frame from Kinesis is probably the best alu frame for racing out there right now, but it doesn't have things like bottle bosses, mudguard bosses, and you'd have to build it yourself - which can be an advantage?

Not going to venture an opinion on the two PX options, save to say that I think there are better Chinese frames out there now.
  • ddraver
    Possibly, but none have full hydraulic brakes for the low thousands of pounds/uppper thousands of euros

Man, when I moved out here I could almost swap the pound sign for a euro sign...*sigh*
    - @ddraver
  • VamP
    Well the iplay 105 D can be got for under $500 (USD fx any good for you?) so that leaves a fair chunk for the rest of your build. Stunning frames too.

If I was replacing my racing pair, it would be a toss up between the iplay and the Kinesis.
  • ddraver
    hmmm, not sure I have the patience or knowledge to go down that route for the sake of a small price cut...
    - @ddraver
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Tell you what I'll just sell you my raleigh.

Barely used. Full carbon Thru axle so it's future proof and it's red which is the main thing.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Depends how you ride and what crank length you use, but the lower BB would be an issue for me. You tend to pedal round corners a lot more in CX than on the road, and you're never that far from a pedal strike when riding steep off-cambers. With 175mm cranks on my XLS I ground a pedal quite frequently, and I certainly wouldn't want to do anything that reduced that clearance.

Hydraulic brakes are nice (I have 3 sets) but they're not going to make you any faster round the course. For me, the principal advantage is reduced maintenance; I've ridden races where I swapped between hydraulic disks and cantis every lap, and never felt the cantis were a disadvantage (in fact, I'm not sure I was even conscious of the difference).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ddraver
    Yeah the discs are as much to do with avoiding rim wear and general winter riding muck than any percieved CX racing benefit. Becasue I ve MTBed for many years I'm a big fan of discs and I'm used to working with them

Your point about the BB height is interesting though, Again, perhaps becasue I'm an MTBer I tend not the pedal through corners but maybe that would change as I did more CX..?

Vam - what was your comment about the Cube Geo? It looks fairly progressive for a euro CX bike to me...?
    - @ddraver
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Have you ruled out a Focus Mares 105 as being too CX orientated? Mine handles pretty good on road.
  • ddraver
    My main gripe about the focus is the half/half brakes. They are a halfway house and - now shimano has released full hydraulic 105 - I suspect will die very quickly

Had focus gone full 105 for 2016 I think that would ve been the one! It's even got tubeless rims!

The dilemma I was having with the two PX bikes is that although having the BBB for guards and touring would be useful for the odd holiday somewhere but for winter road riding the XLS bike would probably be better (ie more fun). Cover your ears English Roadies but we tend not to use guards over here
    - @ddraver
  • VamP
    Yeah the discs are as much to do with avoiding rim wear and general winter riding muck than any percieved CX racing benefit. Becasue I ve MTBed for many years I'm a big fan of discs and I'm used to working with them

Your point about the BB height is interesting though, Again, perhaps becasue I'm an MTBer I tend not the pedal through corners but maybe that would change as I did more CX..?

Vam - what was your comment about the Cube Geo? It looks fairly progressive for a euro CX bike to me...?

Unless they've changed their geo for the disc models, it's a bit of a placid donkey. I had one, in fact still have the frame, sits in garage. Really not a race bike. As a commuter OK.
  • VamP
    Have you ruled out a Focus Mares 105 as being too CX orientated? Mine handles pretty good on road.

They look good, but I lifted one up in a shop recently and gave myself a hernia. It's one heavy beast as sold. My race bikes are about 4-5 kgs lighter.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366

They look good, but I lifted one up in a shop recently and gave myself a hernia. It's one heavy beast as sold. My race bikes are about 4-5 kgs lighter.

I've got the older version with Canti's and its very light. Sounds like the discs have added lots of weight :roll:
  • ddraver
    Unless they've changed their geo for the disc models, it's a bit of a placid donkey. I had one, in fact still have the frame, sits in garage. Really not a race bike. As a commuter OK.

Head Angle is 71 degrees which I suspect is the problem to which you refer. It appears to be the way 'cross geometry is going...

On shimano 105 - my work LBS had literally just built up a 2016 Ridley X trail with it and it looks like it will be great
    - @ddraver
  • VamP

I've got the older version with Canti's and its very light. Sounds like the discs have added lots of weight :roll:

I believe the wheelset is over 2kg...
  • ddraver
    This was posted in another thread but has anyine come across this? http://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-cyclo-cross/cyclo-cross-bikes/cyclo-cross-carbon/dolan-cdx.html

I'd check if they are able to sort out some of my more strange spec foibles forst but they might be more willing than anyone else...
    - @ddraver