Vittoria Open Pavé grip?

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
edited November 2015 in Road general
I have a set of Vittoria Open Pavé. I bought them because I heard they were great winter / wet tyres. However, ever since I first put them on they have not inspired confidence. The slightest touch of the back brake in the wet and you're sliding.
Today was the last straw. Riding pretty timidly (as I don't trust these tyres) the front wheel went on what looked like an almost dry bend.

I've heard seen so much stuff saying how good these tyres are and even the pros use them. Surely, it can't just be opinion? A tyre either grips or it doesn't, and as far as I can tell these don't.

Opinions?!

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Over-rated and over-priced is my experience.

Grippy enough, but I have never used them in winter conditions (and they cut up bad enough in summer, so dread to think what they are like in winter!).
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,316
    I was out in sub zero temperatures last night on my newish Open Pave's and they were A1?!

Are you pumping them up too hard? I run mine at about 90 psi at this time of year.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Very strange Paves are very good, only thing I can think of is, as said are you running them crazy high pressure (that said I ran mine 100/120psi with no problems) or if they are still very new have you scrubbed them in? New tyres can have mould release on them which is slippy.
  • they might offer 2% more grip over a harder tyre, negligible. If you want to ride safely on icey roads you need studs and spikes. I have a pair of Marathon winter, which ride on ice just as well as on tarmac... mind you 1 Kg each... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've had issues with Vittoria open Corsa in the wet but this disappeared when they were scrubbed-in but I learnt the hard way.
    With the first slide, I just thought that I'd hit diesel on a roundabout but one mile up the road on my first right hand turn... I was on my backside in the middle of the road, it was as if I'd hit ice.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    are they old?

the old vittoria sio2 compound was notoriously iffy in the wet, the newer isogrip is reportedly much better
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    There is a world of difference between a tyre sliding in the wet and doing so on ice.

I will trust most road tyres in the wet and have been through many Vittoria models in the past - and still have them on a couple of bikes. I have not noticed anything particularly poor about them in the wet.

However, in late November I have had road tyres slip on me (front and rear) and the most innocent and innocuous speeds. That is not about the tyre... it is the road and the film of icy stuff that is hiding on it.

I have yet to be thrown off by ice this year, but I have a feeling I will be and it will not be the fault of the tyres.

I do not find it a coincidence that a poster is reporting iffy frip 'in the wet' in a week when we are seeing a lot of black ice until quite late in the morning in parts of the UK.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Very strange Paves are very good, only thing I can think of is, as said are you running them crazy high pressure (that said I ran mine 100/120psi with no problems) or if they are still very new have you scrubbed them in? New tyres can have mould release on them which is slippy.

+1
  • Not really sure why I don't seem to be getting on with these tyres. I had them inflated to just under 100psi today, which is probably a bit higher than I would usually have them, but I've always found the back wheel locks up as soon as I touch the brake.

I haven't tried scrubbing them but they have a few hundred miles on them now so I''d be surprised if that was an issue.

I ride Schwalbe Ultremos on my dry bike and found the grip much better even in the wet than the Vittorias. Then again that isn't a particularly scientific comparison.

Will try giving them a scrub and see if that makes any difference.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I ride Schwalbe Ultremos on my dry bike and found the grip much better even in the wet than the Vittorias. Then again that isn't a particularly scientific comparison.

I kind of know what you mean as I used to feel way more comfortable on a set of Schwalbe tyres I had in the wet, than I do on my current set of Vittorias, very first ride in the wet on the vittorias and I managed to lock the rear up and skidded less than gracefully to a halt, and every so often it feels like one of the wheels steps out abit or slips a fraction which then means you just basically then dont have the confidence in them, and where I feel like there maybe diesel as well combined, Im almost tip toeing through expecting to wipe out at any minute.

so I dont know, theres just something about the feel of them thats either different or not quite the same, and it becomes almost a mental block on them.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Coincidently the only time I've came off the bike in over 2 years, was after fitting these tyres. But theres a possibility it would have happened with any tyre.

Low sided on the exit of a corner, the bike just slid from underneath me. Possibility of gravel or grass though?

On a positive note these 25 Vittoria tyres feel so much more comfortable over the road surface than the 23 Schwalbe tyres I had previously.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Not really sure why I don't seem to be getting on with these tyres. I had them inflated to just under 100psi today, which is probably a bit higher than I would usually have them, but I've always found the back wheel locks up as soon as I touch the brake.

I haven't tried scrubbing them but they have a few hundred miles on them now so I''d be surprised if that was an issue.

Will try giving them a scrub and see if that makes any difference.

you are running them at too high pressure. I'm between 76 and 78 kg and run min (25mm versions) at around 85PSI. they then grip better in all conditions.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Ive found them pretty good. However sadly I got a cut on the sidewall which meant I had to throw it in the bin.

I probably ran under 400 miles on it, but the grip and rolling were pretty good. Comfy as others have said as I ran 25mm on 95 psi on my commuter bike.

However it is a shame that it cut so easily :(
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • I use them and have no problems, very comfortable to ride and grip is fine.

I`m sure they are directional the same as the Evo Corsas that I use on my summer bike, worth checking if they are fitted correctly?