Ultegra for Small Hands

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,388
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys

My SRAM red crankset disintegrated at the weekend (the rest of the bike is a mix of SRAM stuff) and, especially if I can get a refund off wiggle as it's 10spd and they say - discontinued) am thinking of just replacing the whole lot with Shimano Ultegra.

4-5 years ago when I was choosing the groupset I went with SRAM becasue i found it much better for small hands (as in glove size small) whereas I found Shimano much worse (no point having 4 upshifts if you can only push the lever far enough to get 1 anyway etc). I was talking to a guy from a Bike shop at the weekend though who said Shimano have improved a lot on that

Does any small handed person have experience with both? I'm going to try and find a test ride somewhere but it's not so easy...

Thanks
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Can't say I'll be much help here, but I wear size S gloves as a rule of thumb and haven't found any issues with the 6800, they are nice to handle than 5700 though
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    You know you can adjust levers for reach?
  • ddraver
    for braking yes - but not for, effectively, lever throw
    - @ddraver
  • I've got annoyingly small hands and had issues braking comfortably from the drops when I first got into road cycling. Ultegra 6800 has been no problem for me, reach adjustment sorts out the braking and the shifts are smooth both front and rear. I think the most noticeable is the front, shifting much improved IMO with a shorter throw. Great groupset, but I can only compare with previous Shimano incarnations I'm afraid.
  • Same as the point above, the throw on ultegra is much less than on old models to the point I don't notice. If you want no throw and have the budget - di2 is the way forward
  • I used to alternate between 4600 and 6800, and the difference in control throw is remarkable, I'd say it's been halved at the very least. It can make it a tiny bit tricky to hit the trim positions on the front derailleur if you are a little ham fisted, but that's barely a real complaint.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Small hands and 6800 for me - no issues at all, a pleasure to use, both in terms of throw and quality of change.

I have SRAM Rival, but have yet to ride it :oops:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ddraver
    Well, went and tried a few in the LBS and they certainly feel a lot better. Will try and find a test bike...
    - @ddraver