Hed 5/7 wheelset

dave milne
dave milne Posts: 703
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking for a wheelset primarily to use in TT/triathlon. I'm very light (60/62kg) so I can't handle a deep front wheel.

Given my lack of disposable income I would ideally like a set that could double up as a road set for special occasions on rolling courses. I appreciate this will lose me some aero advantage over proper TT setups.

The above wheelset is on offer at planet x for 1k which seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Any suggestions? Is this too shallow/narrow to get a real aero benefit

thanks

Comments

• Hi,

I'm looking for a wheelset primarily to use in TT/triathlon. I'm very light (60/62kg) so I can't handle a deep front wheel.

Given my lack of disposable income I would ideally like a set that could double up as a road set for special occasions on rolling courses. I appreciate this will lose me some aero advantage over proper TT setups.

The above wheelset is on offer at planet x for 1k which seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Any suggestions? Is this too shallow/narrow to get a real aero benefit

thanks

If you budget is £1k then you might consider a disc (westbrook cycles have a FFWD for £599) and then pu the rest towards a good quality front.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Didn't have the Hed Jet 5/7's but did have a pair of the Hed Jet 6/9 a while ago and really liked them.

A deep front and a disc would be great for most courses (unless ultra hilly) but if you are to be doing drafting races then I would steer clear (unless you can buy these and a disc and you have the best of all worlds)
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Reckon that'd be perfect tbh.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • If there are crosswinds I will really struggle with a deep front. And it's usually pretty windy in the UK so not too keen.

The other factor is, a 5/7 wheelset with an aluminium brake track will be good value for rolling races and or sportives in any conditions so a good all rounder. 1.5kg the weight which is comparable to my fulcrum racing 1s anyway

I guess the main question from me is does anyone know just how much aero advantage a relatively shallow wheelset like this really gives you
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If there are crosswinds I will really struggle with a deep front. And it's usually pretty windy in the UK so not too keen.

The other factor is, a 5/7 wheelset with an aluminium brake track will be good value for rolling races and or sportives in any conditions so a good all rounder. 1.5kg the weight which is comparable to my fulcrum racing 1s anyway

I guess the main question from me is does anyone know just how much aero advantage a relatively shallow wheelset like this really gives you
    Honestly mate, they're perfect for you!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Deep front and disc. All the cool kids are doing it.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cheers for the advice - think I'll go with them
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    if interested I may have a set of Hed Jet 6+ wheels for sale. might sell the front as it goes, not really used more than 200 miles over all and work fine. message me for more.