BMC datatagged ?

SLR021
SLR021 Posts: 79
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Does anyone know if all BMC cycles come with some sort of datatag identification system or unique tracking number ?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Lost or found one ?
  • SLR021
    Not exactly either. Keen to verify the status of a secondhand one that is for sale, as the seller seems to know suspiciously little about it.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Must be a pro then. Does he have a bum on his chin and a suspicious antipodean accent?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    sounds a little dodgy. however I got my old bmc tagged (not using datatag) and the police didn't actually register it! I sold it may 2014, to a guy, and I went to the website to check the details to find it and nothing there.

very odd. my old bike was the old alloy street racer.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you're suspicious about it then you're probably right. Dodgy bike. Any pics of it ? Someone might recognise it ?
  • SLR021
    If you're suspicious about it then you're probably right. Dodgy bike. Any pics of it ? Someone might recognise it ?

$_57.JPG

Could be totally legit, but the ad was very generic cut and paste from BMC. The seller had the year wrong. the size wrong an described it as a "Roadmachine" when's it's actually a "Racemachine". Looks like a tidy bike but with zero provenance...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Might be worth asking the seller for some kind of provenance, e.g., receipts, where he got it from, etc. If he comes across as helpful but maybe lacking road bike sense then that is probably ok...if he starts being evasive or the facts are clearly wrong or don't hold up to scrutiny then just walk away. The last thing you want to do is buy something stolen as (ignoring the other obvious reasons) the police could knock on the door at anytime and take the bike away... and you will be left both out of pocket and without a bike.
  • SLR021
    Assuming it does check out, anyone got any views of value ? It's a 2011...