Turbo advice

jd843
jd843 Posts: 59
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I started cycling in May of this year, so this is my first winter as a roadie. When I started and through much of the summer, I was getting out after work and at the weekends, so around three or four times a week. Now it's dropped to zero times a week after work (I don't fancy cycling in the dark, especially since there's barely any street lighting around here) and I haven't managed to get out for the past three weekends since it hasn't stopped raining (and I mean flood raining, not just spitting) and wind speeds have been about 30/40 mph.

So I've decided to get a turbo trainer before I completely lose all the cycling ability I managed to build up over the summer. I'd like a trainer that would allow me to emulate climbing; I really don't want to lose my leg strength since I live in the hilly lake district! I also live in a first floor flat, so noise is an issue. The flat below me is a holiday apartment, so people aren't in it most of the time, but it's pretty much essential that the turbo is quiet enough to not affect my next door and upstairs neighbours.

Ideally I'd like to spend below £300. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• I thought about it. Then just joined the Gym instead for £40 a month. Rolling cancellable contract. They have a brilliant selection of proper spin bikes and a pool. Not interested in the other stuff. But it's a bonus. Been hitting the spin bikes and doing miles upon miles of swimming. Feel much fitter than my constant commuting. Worth a look. Apologies for the tangential approach!

(IF you get a turbo, get zwift naturally)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • jd843
    jd843 Posts: 59
    I thought about it. Then just joined the Gym instead for £40 a month. Rolling cancellable contract. They have a brilliant selection of proper spin bikes and a pool. Not interested in the other stuff. But it's a bonus. Been hitting the spin bikes and doing miles upon miles of swimming. Feel much fitter than my constant commuting. Worth a look. Apologies for the tangential approach!

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yeah I'd considered going spinning actually - definitely cheaper to do that for the winter months, then go back to cycling in spring. I looked into going on a pay as you go basis rather than getting a membership, but my local gym's website is so terrible/uninformative/confusing (in terms of membership options) that I was immediately put off! Might have to pop in and speak to them about what I want from the membership and see what my options are.

I'd looked into zwift as well, was very very interested, only to find that my laptop is too old and rubbish to cope with the graphics... So that would probably be the most expensive option since it would involve buying a new laptop as well!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have not used any computer/video gear on my turbo but I have formed the opinion that anyone who spends long periods on a turbo trainer has to be close to brain dead. I find it boreing beyond belief. On my own in my garage,try as I do, 45 min is all I can do. Use a gym where there is something to distract you is my recommendation.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I have not used any computer/video gear on my turbo but I have formed the opinion that anyone who spends long periods on a turbo trainer has to be close to brain dead. I find it boreing beyond belief. On my own in my garage,try as I do, 45 min is all I can do. Use a gym where there is something to distract you is my recommendation.
    If you don't use a Garmin or something to monitor your Heart Rate and cadence on the turbo and watch a cycling or training video on your laptop when on the turbo, it will be very boring. Even with that I still find 45 minutes more than enough for a turbo session.

For using a turbo in his flat, the OP will need a mat and maybe some underfelt or something underneath the mat to dampen down some of the noise/vibration.
  • I would recommend trying some spinning classes.....not that I am biased being a spinning instructor!
    I have a Kinetic turbo trainer at home its good, fairly quiet, but hasn't been over worked since I bought it a couple of years ago. Like most people I find turbo training a mind numbing experience even when using Sufferfest dvds and good music. I have never managed more than an hour and thirty minutes, before I have had enough.
    A well structured spin class using heart rate monitors with set targets seems like less of a chore, and more enjoyable in my opinion. Don't be fooled into thinking it is easy or no good because it is popular with a large number of non cyclists as part of there fitness regime, an hour on the spin bike and you know you have had a workout.
    I could think of better ways of spending 300 quid. If you are intent on getting a turbo look out for a good 2nd hand one maybe. There always seems to be a few around!!!
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have a turbo trainer, quite a good one too, which reminds me I must get rid of it! I do not have the right mind set to sit on a tt. Much better alternative for me is to attend a group spin class in a nearby gym. Blooming hard work - you get as much out of it as you're willing to put in, but much much better in my experience than using a tt at home. Better still is to get out on the bike - the weather won't always be so bad, but you'd need to spend a few bob on a decent front light.

Peter
  • I live in a block of flats and do my training early in the morning so noise is an issue for me as well. I use an Elite Crono fluid unit, which does the job well. The resistance is rather stiff and non-variable, which isn't ideal, but it's quiet and easy to set up. Ideally something with variable resistance and a big flywheel is good, I've heard good things about the CycleOps and Kurt Kinetic ones.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

Or you could argue you are closer to being brain dead as plenty of us manage to do longer sessions on a turbo. I think my longest is about 70 mins but as I was targeting 25m races I'd not go that long.

Look at Trainerroad - or sufferfest. Plenty to keep you occupied there. If its a steadier ride you can use trainerroad in conjunction with iplayer or something, Keep an eye on the effort level and still keep the mind busy.

Spin class can be good but will probably work out more expensive depending on what kit you already have at home. You don't need to spend a huge amount on a turbo.

And check out the classes first. If they're doing pressups or leaning off the bike then you've strayed into a class led by an aerobics teacher. Avoid those.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    OP it is not the amount of time you spend on the turbo that matters it is the structure of the training you do, a 30 or 40 minute session of HIIT is a good example of a short time on the turbo used well IME.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I'd look at getting a fluid based trainer like a Cyclops Fluid 2, some sound deadening foam for underneath and a few months subscription to Trainer Road. (You'll also need an ANT+ dongle for your laptop and a cadence/speed sensor for your Garmin to get the best out of it). Spin classes just don't do it for me unfortunately, the biggest hindrance is the change in bike position.
  • For that kind of budget i'd be looking at a Tacx Vortex smart trainer.

I have the Bushido, which is around the £400 mark, and comes with a couple of extra nice to haves. It is exceptionally quiet and happily plays with trainer road in erg mode, which means the software controls the trainers resistance.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I thought about it. Then just joined the Gym instead for £40 a month. Rolling cancellable contract. They have a brilliant selection of proper spin bikes and a pool. Not interested in the other stuff. But it's a bonus. Been hitting the spin bikes and doing miles upon miles of swimming. Feel much fitter than my constant commuting. Worth a look. Apologies for the tangential approach!

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yeah I'd considered going spinning actually - definitely cheaper to do that for the winter months, then go back to cycling in spring. I looked into going on a pay as you go basis rather than getting a membership, but my local gym's website is so terrible/uninformative/confusing (in terms of membership options) that I was immediately put off! Might have to pop in and speak to them about what I want from the membership and see what my options are.

I'd looked into zwift as well, was very very interested, only to find that my laptop is too old and rubbish to cope with the graphics... So that would probably be the most expensive option since it would involve buying a new laptop as well!

Have a look at the bkool simulator software - or even trainerroad - the system requirements are much lower.