Base layer and winter socks

dazz_ni45
dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
After an absolutely 4 hour baltic ride yesterday (Northern Ireland) it is time to up the game with the layers.

I had a decathlon base layer (their decent ones), castelli alpha jacket and our club winter gilet and I was just about warm enough during the ride. I think part of the problem was the wicking properties of the base layer as I sweat on the climbs and then cooled rapidly. Can any recommend a decent base layer that would compliment the alpha and be suitable down into the minus figures. I'm very glad I had the gillet on.

My feet were another problem, I was using specialized defroster winter boots and woolie boolies and my feet were numb from 10 mins into the ride until about an hour after. I don't think there is enough room in the boots for the woolie boolies so can anyone recommend a thinner but still warm winter sock?

I had been looking at the DHB merino base layers and the aeron merino winter socks as they seem to be reviewed well.

Comments

• rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    I have a dhb merino zip-neck base layer and love it! If it was half the price I'd bought a couple more. It's this one here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-merino-zip-neck-base-layer-m-200/

It's £28 which isn't too bad but not cheap for what's just a base layer.

Not only do I wear it for cycling at the moment, I also wear it for my long evening walks and running in cold weather. Obviously you need to wear another layer or two over it.

For me it it ticks two important boxes: supreme, cosy comfort and keeps my torso warm. It's reasonably stretchy too.
  • endura baa baa or craft extreme base layers work for me in this weather, in fact I've just been out this morning for a couple of hours wearing the endura top under a Castelli mortirolo jacket and it was spot on. Temp around 2-3 degrees.
    If your feet are suffering that much in winter boots then I'd be tempted to wear some over shoes as well, at least until you've warmed up enough.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I was only out for about 2 hours this morning and the temperature hovered around 2 Celsius, eventually hitting 3 at which point I was too warm (and wrecked!) and went home. Not sure what temperature you were facing in NI but presumably not very different?

I wore my Alpha jacket for the first time since spring and I was toasty warm. I also wore a long sleeve rapha merino wool base layer - I presume other brands offer the same material and thermal/ wicking properties? Also for the first time in ages I had on an assos stinger hat and assos fugu gloves. The hat is my go to winter hat and the gloves, despite mixed reviews I find to be great (you just need to be careful when taking them off that you don't pull out the lining layer).

I have a pair of northwave gtx winter boots but I've never really given them a chance as I find shoes more comfortable. This morning I had woolie boolies/ s works road shoes/ and GribGrab v heavy neoprene overshoes. My feet were warm from start to finish. Only other item of clothing were castelli sorpasso biblongs. These aren't as warm as the assos longs and for a longer ride I'd have probably switched to the assos but they were fine as I had rubbed on a small amount of rapha winter embrocation (I'm sure there are other similar products like deep heat) on my knees, fronts of thighs and butt cheeks (sorry if too much detail!). The reason I've given detail is that on cold days I find heat creme makes a huge difference in my level of warmth/ comfort.

I suspect that the apha jacket may need even colder temperatures than this morning to perform at its best - my base layer was soaking and I suspect condensation finds it difficult to escape the jacket if you're running warm. Not sure how you could get round this other than accept you'll sweat and rely on the merino to wick it away and not feel cold. For downhill stretches, one other bit of kit you may find useful is a snood/ neck thingy which will help prevent cold air getting inside the front and back of your jacket - this may be why you felt so cold? The jacket itself is the best I've experienced for dealing with cold and I could not contemplate adding another layer unless temperature fell below zero, or if the winds were strong (this morning was pretty calm, y'day was blowing a gale in london). Hope there is some info in this ramble of use to you!

Peter
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I find the gore bike wear base layers work well for me. They also do a windstopper version. I found merino base layers didn't work as well for me.
  • Thanks folks for the replies.

Don't know what went wrong on Saturday. I cycled all last year in the alpha jersey and same baselayers and was never cold. Not sure if the wind chill on saturday was just exceptionally cold or perhaps I was overdressed was getting too warm, sweating and then chilling.

Worse part was my feet and I was wearing woolie boolies. I think they are too tight in my winter boot and the lack of movement circulation was adding to the problems.

Any suggestions on thin warm socks?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think you probably realise that you really need a size larger in your winter boots, but I appreciate that would be a pretty expensive option.

Can't help you with the thinner thermal sock question; I'm also wearing Woolie Boolies now; fortunately my shoes have room for them.

If you do find a warm but thinner sock, try it with an overshoe. The humble Planet X neoprene overshoes transformed my winter riding experience.

As far as base layers go, I've given up on merino stuff; it gets wet and stays that way. Now I use some cheap synthetic thermal base layers (M&S!) which are close fitting and wick really well, so I never feel cold. I still use the merino stuff, but as a mid layer for really arctic conditions where it performs well.
  • Still not found a better wicking base layer than UnderArmour Cold Gear. Nothing "cycling specific" has ever come close. Usually find deals on it in various places if you look around.

Oh, and Woolie Boolies are THE go to sock.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Thanks folks for the replies.

Don't know what went wrong on Saturday. I cycled all last year in the alpha jersey and same baselayers and was never cold. Not sure if the wind chill on saturday was just exceptionally cold or perhaps I was overdressed was getting too warm, sweating and then chilling.

Worse part was my feet and I was wearing woolie boolies. I think they are too tight in my winter boot and the lack of movement circulation was adding to the problems.

Coach H made this suggestion in a merino socks thread recently which might be worth a try:

Prendas Thermolite
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclismo-thermolite-winter-socks.html

Warmer and thinner (therefore warmer in shoes that are not bought oversized) than Woolie Boolies in my experience.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Thanks folks for the replies.

Coach H made this suggestion in a merino socks thread recently which might be worth a try:

Prendas Thermolite
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclismo-thermolite-winter-socks.html

Warmer and thinner (therefore warmer in shoes that are not bought oversized) than Woolie Boolies in my experience.

Yes I did and I still stand by it. Haven't worn woolie boolies for riding since the first winter ride 5 years ago that I tried a pair of thermolites
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Under Armour coldgear is best for me, it will be wet on the outside with sweat and almost dry
    inside, have merino as well but not as good in my opinion.