Wahoo RFLKT review?!

tamasreal
tamasreal Posts: 27
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Dear cycling mates!

I am planning to buy a 'new' bike computer.
The 'only' device, which I have found and has all the features that I need, and not that expensive, is the Wahoo RFLKT.
I want to connect it's sensors to Zwift (it supports them in beta mode, and worked very well, when I tried).
I have seen one for sell with speed and cadence sensors for a nice price. (97€, and I will meet the seller on Thursday.)

But, I have some questions.. So, I have read reviews about it and some claimed, that the bluetooth connectivity (when the phone is in your back pocket) .. is not so perfect between the phone and the device. But these reviews are more than 2 years old. The wahoo app had got a lot of updates, bug fixes, connectivity improvements.. etc. And I think the RFLKT firmware had some updates too. (I think the device is the same compared to the 2013 model.)

What is the situation now? Anyone, who is using it.. does the connectivity still have some problems?
If it does matter, I have an iPhone 5S,I would like to use it with the Wahoo app, and it is an RFLKT, not RFLKT+ model.

Thanks for all the answers.

-(I do not want to use ANT+ options, because it is much more expensive.. ANT+ key for phone, USB dongle, sensors are more expensive etc. :( I know they are better, but I dont have the money right now.)

Comments

• stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    TBH I don't have any experience with this although I am intrigued by it. However I have just had an email to say that between the 27/11/15 and 30/11/15 that the RFLKT is only £39.99 at the UK Wahoo shop. At that price might be worth a punt.
  • I don't have a RFLKT myself but there is a review with user comments here:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/bluetooth-barometric-altimeter.html

(this is actually the RFLKT+ which has a few more features...)

To pick up stevie63's point £39.99 is a big discount over the list price so it could be worth a punt... but it is worth mentioning that Wahoo have a new GPS product coming out (ELEMNT). This was meant to be out this month but has slipped to January. However the ELEMNT is a standalone GPS competing with higher end Garmins so is a lot more expensive than the RFLKT.
  • Got a RFLKT+ last year. Second hand. Previous owner couldn't get it working. This was a firmware issue. Once updated the unit works well. I have had no problems with bluetooth signal strength.

My only issues with this unit occurred when using with an android phone. Now I am using an iPhone the RFLKT works well (however iOS updates have caused the Wahoo app to behave oddly, a re-install fixed this).
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Amazon have the RFLKT+ on a lightning deal this morning, £59.99 if you're quick.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GTNMM4E?ref_=gb1h_tit_m-4_5847_c730398a&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I could be tempted, but the fact you need to sign up to ridewithgps to get the turn by turn navigation on it makes it rather more expensive than face value (if you're interested in that feature).
  • Got a RFLKT+ last year. Second hand. Previous owner couldn't get it working. This was a firmware issue. Once updated the unit works well. I have had no problems with bluetooth signal strength.

My only issues with this unit occurred when using with an android phone. Now I am using an iPhone the RFLKT works well (however iOS updates have caused the Wahoo app to behave oddly, a re-install fixed this).

Thanks for your answer! :)
    How much time does your iPhone battery take to die on a ride? (For example if you use iOS9 and "Battery saving mode".)
  • I have bought one RFLKT (not the + version) and the Blue SC Speed and Cadence sensors for 75GBP (+15GBP shipping) on ebay (from second hand, but brand new) .. Maybe this was not my best deal, but I hope the best.
    The package will arrive on Monday.

Thanks for your answer! :)
    How much time does your iPhone battery take to die on a ride? (For example if you use iOS9 and "Battery saving mode".)

Done 5 hours, listening to music and still had about 20% left. Mobile data disabled. Didn't use battery saving.