Pickenflick

snipsnap
snipsnap Posts: 259
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Ok, had the Ti itch for a good while now.
Would def want discs.

I had built myself up for a kenesis gran fondo frameset purchase in 2016, but with the pickenflick down to 1350 with hydraulics I'm sorely tempted.

The only thing stopping me is that I'd want to use it on road too - already have a decent set of road disc wheels.

Anyone use the pickenflick on the road for fast training rides ?
How do they cope?

I've got an xls already which would become my commuter, and my croix de fer will pick up touring duties, so I've got options. Just will it be any use on roads?

Comments

• I have one as a road bike. Changed Chainset to a 50/34 and put some light Novatec wheels on it, great ride.
    Superb handling, comfort and braking.
    Also have a GT carbon Grade which is even better and has mudguard mounts and is my Winter bike.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Choosing a bike based on frame material rather than geometry is definitely a strange/stupid way to go about things.

If you want a road bike, buy a road bike; not a cyclocross bike.
  • SLR021
    SLR021 Posts: 79
    Choosing a bike based on frame material rather than geometry is definitely a strange/stupid way to go about things.

Quite right, where would we be in a world without strict order ? Next thing you know, they'd be wearing Tuesday's socks on Monday and forgetting to put the grocery's away in alphabetical order, with all the labels facing the same way and the cartons perfectly aligned with the cabinets! The dangerous mavericks ....
  • Choosing a bike based on frame material rather than geometry is definitely a strange/stupid way to go about things.

There is no difference.

Some Europcar rider, whose name eludes me, finished second behind Cancellara in Paris-Roubaix 2-3 years ago, riding a cyclocross bike. It is a road race with 20% pave' and 80% tarmac
    left the forum March 2023
  • styxd

Quite right, where would we be in a world without strict order ? Next thing you know, they'd be wearing Tuesday's socks on Monday and forgetting to put the grocery's away in alphabetical order, with all the labels facing the same way and the cartons perfectly aligned with the cabinets! The dangerous mavericks ....

What are you on about?

The Op has asked for advice on a bike for fast training rides, on the road. THerefore, his best bet is a road bike, not a CX bike, regardless of material.

OP; ask Pact Bikes to build you what you require.

I'm sure the Pickenflick rides well, but not as well as a road bike on the road.

• I'm sure the Pickenflick rides well, but not as well as a road bike on the road.

My point is that is not the case, as it has been pointed out, one can potentially win a major monument road race with a cyclocross bike.
    Hence if the Pickenflick ends up being cheaper than an equivalent road bike, there is no reason not to buy a CX bike instead. Tyres need to swapped, obviously, but that's it 50-80 quid extra
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    Considering the same thing, I have some Kinesis CX Dosc wheels already, but how much nicer would this be that my Boardman CX....hmmmm
  • Choosing a bike based on frame material rather than geometry is definitely a strange/stupid way to go about things.

What are you on about?

The Op has asked for advice on a bike for fast training rides, on the road. THerefore, his best bet is a road bike, not a CX bike, regardless of material.

OP; ask Pact Bikes to build you what you require.

I'm sure the Pickenflick rides well, but not as well as a road bike on the road.

So, Pactbike can build him a tourer or a CX bike. So, he'd opt for the tourer, I guess. Does that take discs? Or does he have to ask Pact for the CX version? How do each of them ride, on the road, compared to the PX?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • snipsnap

I bit harsh, and I did expect this Question to open a can of worms potentially.

I have a Px XLS already which is a lot of fun. It rides on the road too, just because I use it for commuting and cx rides. Handles pretty well on the road, but I wouldn't take it on training rides as it's set up for cross and could feel a little under geared. (Or I'm just unfit!)

I was asking if anyone uses a pickenflick on the road? And how it feels? It can be fitted with a compact and road tyres at checkout and is bonkers value especially at the reduced price.

Couldn't get the Kenesis frame alone for the same price as the full build. I appreciate that it's a bit apples and pears, as the Kenesis Tripster is more on par with the pickenflick, but with the xls being the bike that puts the biggest smile on my face, then could this be it's posh big brother that would also be good for road duties?!

Was just a question to see if anyone had any experiences!

I bit harsh, and I did expect this Question to open a can of worms potentially.

I have a Px XLS already which is a lot of fun. It rides on the road too, just because I use it for commuting and cx rides. Handles pretty well on the road, but I wouldn't take it on training rides as it's set up for cross and could feel a little under geared. (Or I'm just unfit!)

I was asking if anyone uses a pickenflick on the road? And how it feels? It can be fitted with a compact and road tyres at checkout and is bonkers value especially at the reduced price.

Couldn't get the Kenesis frame alone for the same price as the full build. I appreciate that it's a bit apples and pears, as the Kenesis Tripster is more on par with the pickenflick, but with the xls being the bike that puts the biggest smile on my face, then could this be it's posh big brother that would also be good for road duties?!

Was just a question to see if anyone had any experiences!

Just get a pair of wheels for the XLS fitted with road tyres and swap as needed. I do just that.
    36/46 is absolutely fine too... there are very few occasions where you can't keep up because you don't have a 50+ ring
  • The XLS, and indeed many of it's ilk, are superb on the road. That would apply, equally, to the Flick. You'd easily keep up with people on that. Ugo's idea is very sound. Indeed, you could squeeze in a groupset upgrade and some nice wheels.

If you do want new shiny then the Flick will be great. It will be very good on fast training rides.
  • styxd
    Christ, there's some [mod edited: for swearing].

If you want the ride/handling/road manners/stiffness etc. of a road bike, then don't get the Pickenflick; it's not a road bike.

Obviously, it'll be pretty close, and at the end of the day, it's about your legs. So if you're fit enough, it'll keep up just fine on a training ride. Infact a hybrid or a mtb would; why aren't you considering one of those aswell? According to some of the posters above, you should be; since the'yre unable to tell the difference between a road bike and not a road bike...
  • Christ, there's some ******* idiots on this forum.

So is that the definition of somebody who doesn't see things the same way as you?

mind you... It's never to late to say you are sorry
  • styxd
    i am sorry!
  • Someone needs a hug. Come here.........
  • styxd
    fanks!
  • See, that's better.
  • Regarding handling I doubt there are many road bikes that would stay with the Pickenflick on a decent, especially with the crappy roads we have.
  • styxd
    Regarding handling I doubt there are many road bikes that would stay with the Pickenflick on a decent, especially with the crappy roads we have.

Again, it depends on the rider. The CX style "slack and long" geometry of the Pickenflick certainly gives confidence to people who can't descend very well. But it won't handle as well "on the limit"

A steeper head angle and longer/lower stem keep you low/aerodynamic and puts more weight over the front end which is essential if you're wanting to "crack on"

• A steeper head angle and longer/lower stem keep you low/aerodynamic and puts more weight over the front end which is essential if you're wanting to "crack on"

Low front, long stem, cross bike... served...

DSC_4325_zpsaftvk5kb.jpg
  • styxd

A steeper head angle and longer/lower stem keep you low/aerodynamic and puts more weight over the front end which is essential if you're wanting to "crack on"

DSC_4325_zpsaftvk5kb.jpg

I love the look of that bike, especially with the campag seatpost. And it is a good example of how to set a road bike up. I don't know what the head angle is on it...but I find anything of 72 degrees or less tends to get a bit too slow with a 130mm / 140mm stem. The front wheel also starts "feeling" less under you, and more "out in front" if that makes sense?

• A steeper head angle and longer/lower stem keep you low/aerodynamic and puts more weight over the front end which is essential if you're wanting to "crack on"

DSC_4325_zpsaftvk5kb.jpg

I love the look of that bike, especially with the campag seatpost. And it is a good example of how to set a road bike up. I don't know what the head angle is on it...but I find anything of 72 degrees or less tends to get a bit too slow with a 130mm / 140mm stem. The front wheel also starts "feeling" less under you, and more "out in front" if that makes sense?

71.5 degrees, apparently..

dunno, I've gone faster downhill with this than with any other bike
  • styxd

Discs.....they're the future!

• dunno, I've gone faster downhill with this than with any other bike

No, it's not that...

Incidentally 71.5 is the same of a Colnago C40 of the same size... quite possibly the most successful frame ever
  • styxd

No, it's not that...

Incidentally 71.5 is the same of a Colnago C40 of the same size... quite possibly the most successful frame ever

Colnagos always look slack; I didn't think they pbulished head angle measurements though?

• dunno, I've gone faster downhill with this than with any other bike

No, it's not that...

Colnagos always look slack; I didn't think they pbulished head angle measurements though?

found it somewhere... Google is the truth, as you know

Slack or not, no other frame has won as many classics, I believe
  • styxd
    They look great with a setup like yours aswell...

IMG_0851.jpg
  • SLR021
    SLR021 Posts: 79
    A)Christ, there's some ******* idiots on this forum.

A) I'm guessing there are not many mirrors in your house.

B) Do Range Rovers enrage you this much also ? Afer all they are petty good on AND off road too. :idea:
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Back to the OIP.
    Yes. Mine Pick has about 10,000 miles on it, all but about 100 on road. Stuck on a compact although I also occasionally use the MTB double that it came with when on holiday in Scotland. Actually that with a 11/23 cassette gives nice gears without the gaps you getter with a rider ranging cassette.
    Your version of fast training might be different to mine and thus maybe who ever said no might be best to consider that. I have no issues with fast club runs etc. I suspect that virtually all riders can't spot geometry differences anyway one the bike is properly set up for you. The Pick price allows a lot of extras. PX wheels are nothing special and that was my first change. I had a need for some disc wheels for my roughstuff bike so they moved on anyway.
    The seat post is wider than I care for and mine was replaced by a 27.2 Ti one plus shim.
    Adding guards is easy at the back, just use p clips or those plastic clamps that fit cheap lights to seat stays.
    There is no fork drilling so I used super 3m Velcro under the fork which is bombproof. A bit of mechano makes a nice bracket for the caliper side, something all my bikes use and the most unsatisfactory bit is having to use a QR mount from some SKS long blades on the right.
    A really nice ride capable of taking some big tyres if you want. I use 30mm Challenge Stradas Bianca's at the moment but they do cut a bit. Ride is nice though.
  • snipsnap
    Back to the OIP.
    Yes. Mine Pick has about 10,000 miles on it, all but about 100 on road. Stuck on a compact although I also occasionally use the MTB double that it came with when on holiday in Scotland. Actually that with a 11/23 cassette gives nice gears without the gaps you getter with a rider ranging cassette.
    Your version of fast training might be different to mine and thus maybe who ever said no might be best to consider that. I have no issues with fast club runs etc. I suspect that virtually all riders can't spot geometry differences anyway one the bike is properly set up for you. The Pick price allows a lot of extras. PX wheels are nothing special and that was my first change. I had a need for some disc wheels for my roughstuff bike so they moved on anyway.
    The seat post is wider than I care for and mine was replaced by a 27.2 Ti one plus shim.
    Adding guards is easy at the back, just use p clips or those plastic clamps that fit cheap lights to seat stays.
    There is no fork drilling so I used super 3m Velcro under the fork which is bombproof. A bit of mechano makes a nice bracket for the caliper side, something all my bikes use and the most unsatisfactory bit is having to use a QR mount from some SKS long blades on the right.
    A really nice ride capable of taking some big tyres if you want. I use 30mm Challenge Stradas Bianca's at the moment but they do cut a bit. Ride is nice though.

Thanks - this is most useful!