Wnter Bibs or Over Tights ?

zak3737
zak3737 Posts: 370
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Just wondering what peeps use primarily ?

I have a couple of pairs of reasonably good Bib Shorts, and am just wondering if its worth using them through the winter with some unpadded Winter tights on top ?

Or forget the 2 layers, and just get a good pair of Winter Bibs ?

What does everyone else think is better ?

Thx

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Its personal preference really. I wear padded bib tights in winter and bib shorts when it warms up. One benefit of two layers is it would be warmer but i don't feel the cold much.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095

I have a couple of pairs of reasonably good Bib Shorts, and am just wondering if its worth using them through the winter with some unpadded Winter tights on top ?

this.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    Used to go with bib shorts with unpadded bib tights over top but didn't like double-bibbing. Got decent padded bib tights and never looked back
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Good thing about shorts and tights is that you can get more than one days use out of the tights - but you'd not want to do two days in the same shorts.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Personally wouldnt want two sets of straps - one is more than enough. However I do wear waist tights over bibshorts when I want the flexibility of being able to remove them if I get too hot (as I did last weekend). The ones I use are actually roubaix running tights officially: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ekiden-warm-tights-id_8280370.html

But when I know its going to be cold and I want something really warm, I have some castelli Sorpasso and they are really great. Havent worn them yet this winter though.
  • bib tights over bib shorts for me, my assos shorts are so comfortable and I can't really justify buying assos bib tights when a pair of unpadded dhb ones is so much cheaper.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Get some decent bib tights with Roubaix lining and windproof fronts they should keep you toasty.
    ^^This
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I go for non bib unloaded winter tights over my regular bib shorts, on the basis I'd invested in multiple pairs of decent bib shorts so this gets most use out of them and saves having to pay the extra over roubaix/ winter tights for bib and decent pad. Plus more flexible, on not so cold days can just use leg warmers.

Works fine for me and two layers over your gentlemans area keeps you warm.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bib tights over bib shorts for me, my assos shorts are so comfortable and I can't really justify buying assos bib tights when a pair of unpadded dhb ones is so much cheaper.

To be honest, you don't need to. As a devotee of Assos bib shorts I can agree that their winter tights are great. But, for me, no better than Castelli Sorpasso. Or, DHB Aeron Windslam for that matter.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I've got Castelli Sorpasso tights but find that using bib shorts with good leg warmers works just as well for me. The benefits of the bib shorts and leg warmer approach is that it provides flexibility and avoids having clothes which are only used for a few months of the year. I prefer wearing a few layers for my upper half.
  • I've got a pair of unpadded waist tights which I sometimes wear over bib shorts. One of the things I hate about waist tights/shorts is how they can dig in to your stomach, however, with the bib shorts underneath this doesn't seem to be an issue. I generally use these for MTB rides or as a backup pair if my bib tights aren't dry.
  • I use bib shorts in summer, bib 3/4's in spring and autumn (because I hate knee warmers) and waist shorts under unpadded tights in winter. I prefer that to double bibs and I find the double layer makes a very noticeable difference in the stomach/gentlemen area even to top notch padded bib tights. It also means the tights usually get several uses before washing so they last longer. This approach means more kit of course, but I've built it up over the years so it's never seemed like a big deal.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I have bib shorts, bib knickers and bib tights for when the temperature is appropriate for the use of each. They are all made by Howies and the thickness of the material suits their intended temperature use. No need to faff about with multiple layers!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yeah, but if you go out when its too cold for shorts and later on its too warm for the tights you put on, what do you do? Waist tights over the top like the ones I use when its not arctic are effectively leg warmers that dont fall down your legs and also add a little warmth to your middle and thighs - I can take them off and fold them up if I want - they even stuff in a jersey pocket if you want. No faff at all really. But when its REALLY cold, the sorpassos are much thicker and also add extra warmth to the torso as the roubaix material goes up much higher.

I have tried many pairs of 3/4 knickers but find them too tight on my calves or too restrictive around the knee joints - some tights are like this too but the sorpassos are great.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I don't like double bibbing either so it's bib tights over plain shorts or liners for me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Probably not.

Put the money you would spend on unpadded tights towards a decent pair of bib tights (with foot loops perhaps?).

Bib tights are so much less of a faff, and will feel a whole lot better/more comfortable (for various reasons).
    You will then have three pairs of decent bibs for the year instead of just two.

In the long run you are not wearing out the first two bibs so quickly, and it will feel a bit like you get new clothing twice a year.
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370

Probably not.

Put the money you would spend on unpadded tights towards a decent pair of bib tights (with foot loops perhaps?).

Bib tights are so much less of a faff, and will feel a whole lot better/more comfortable (for various reasons).
    You will then have three pairs of decent bibs for the year instead of just two.

In the long run you are not wearing out the first two bibs so quickly, and it will feel a bit like you get new clothing twice a year.

Thx, have done just that. I tried on some waist tights over bib shorts, and just felt 'too trussed' up, as you say, 1 pair of Winter bibs is more comfortable, for me at least.

Strange just how many supposedly 'big name' companies, Sportful/Castelli etc, dont make their Bibs with Foot loops, and as a result, after seeing quite a few on cyclists legs that are clearly not covering their ankles etc, I've gone with some DHB Vaeon Zero bibs, which had great reviews, and come with foot loops and a zipped front, which must be a bonus :wink: