Dura Ace 9000 hubs - when to service

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited November 2015 in Workshop
Now done 2000 miles almost all dry (best wheels innit) since I built the wheels back in March/April - is it worth stripping, cleaning/wiping and re-greasing the bearings in my DA 9000 hubs while the bike is sitting unused over winter or is that a bit too soon?

Not having fiddled with cup and cone before I gather it's better to take a preventative approach rather than wait until it's too late. Any thoughts/experience? Cheers!

Comments

• leave them alone
    left the forum March 2023
  • munkster
    Forever? Not sure about that...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Every 5000 miles or once a year is when I do mine. It worth doing these preventatively as then they will do silly miles.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • munkster
    Great thanks Malcolm, if I don't do it now I doubt it'll be done until next winter so they could have 5000-6000 miles on them by then and, as you say, I'm quite keen to have them last a very long time so prevention is fine by me...
  • Just feel them by hand... if they are nice and greased don't touch them... if they feel like they are a bit too loose and dry then add grease. You really want to work in a clean environment with very clean grease, or all the butterness will go
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Just feel them by hand... if they are nice and greased don't touch them... if they feel like they are a bit too loose and dry then add grease. You really want to work in a clean environment with very clean grease, or all the butterness will go

I have a feeling that he might not have planned to work on a beach with a tub of grease he found in a skip in Aleppo ...........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • munkster
    Indeed no; I have bought a pristine tub of Shimano "Premium Grease" for the task (other brands are available I don't doubt) and have a plentiful supply of latex gloves (say no more) to ensure no bogeys or fingernails end up in the cones...

In all seriousness, it may be that I do leave it for this winter but the idea of prevention rather than cure/bin really does appeal greatly in this case. Equally losing that absolutely sublime DA hub smoothness would be galling too but how hard can it be?