Wilier Izoard Headset / Bearing

DefUnctUK
DefUnctUK Posts: 38
edited November 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

I have just got myself a Wilier Izoard XP and noticed that the headset cover sits above the frame with a gap, which seemed a little larger than i would have thought there should be (as per the photo IMG_1888.jpg).

However, the seating seems to be perfect, no looseness or anything and the steering is smooth - so it all seems ok.

I took it to my local bike shop who looked it over and said it's nothing to worry about, that there could be a rubber washer missing, but all seems ok. I wanted to double check there was nothing going on that might potentially damage the frame / headset so i took it to the nearest shop which sells Wilier, who said the gap did seem a little larger than normal, but all seems to be ok and is well seated so not to worry unless it was bothering me cosmetically.

I just wanted to ask, what would cause a gap like this? Is it possible that the fitted bearing is slightly higher than it needs to be (i notice they do come in different heights)? Having looked around at other photos of Izoards, they dont seem to have that gap or any "washer" but can't be sure.