Freehub slipping in 11t cog.

cal_stewart
cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
edited November 2015 in Workshop
Sorting my mates bike out. New cables inner and outer all tuned great however when out of the stand there is slipping in the 11t cog. Tiaga 10sp with campagnolo 10sp wheel. Not the greatest mix.

Before I start ripping the rear wheel to bits is this a common fault with something I may have done in the gear setup?

My mates a big big unit with large power I'm thinking it may just be the freewheel

Any help welcome cal
eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
Cervelo P5 EPS
www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Tiaga 10sp with campagnolo 10sp wheel. Not the greatest mix.

Any help welcome cal

Are you saying that he has a 10-speed Campag cassette on a Campag freehub or is it a Shimano cassette on a Campag wheel with a Shimano freehub?

If it's the former then that could be the issue. Don't think Shimano rear derailleurs work very well with Campag cassettes. Cable pull and spacing issues I reckon.

If that is the cause then he might be able to source a cassette which will fit a Campag freehub but have Shimano sprocket spacing. I know Ambrosio do them the other way round (Shimano spline with Campag spacing) but not too sure if they do what you would need.

Anyhow a bit of clarification would be helpful
  • cal_stewart
    Campagnolo cassette and freehub
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • If it was the freehub it would slip in all gear's.
  • suggest you check that the 11t cog is fully on the hub. Might be a spacer too many pushing the 11t off the hub. even if lockring is tight the 11t will still spin under pressure
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    Campagnolo cassette and freehub

Campagnolo and shimano 10 speed spacing is different. it's possible to get it running but you will always have problems at the extremities of the cassette. To run properly on the current freehub you need one of the Ambrosio campag fitting/shimano spacing cassettes mentioned earlier. Or else change the freehub and get a shimano cassette.

You could get 10 speed campag levers. This would be the most expensive option though.
  • cal_stewart
    Cheers, will check cassette.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • cal_stewart
    Not an extra spacer. Any other ideas
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's not down to an extra spacer. The gaps between the sprockets are different for 10 speed Campagnolo cassettes when compared to 10 speed Shimano cassettes. It Will Not Work.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Agreed that it won't work properly due to different cassette spacing with campag vs shimano.

Unless you buy a converter as suggested above you either need to put a shimano compatable freehub and cassette on the existing wheel or change the entire wheel to a shimano compatable model.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D