Waterproof Trousers

theblarney
theblarney Posts: 102
edited November 2015 in MTB general
Hi,

Im looking for advice for breathable waterproof trousers that dont cost the earth.

I have some Endura trousers that are just like wearing bin liners on your legs, they do the job but get really sweaty in them. I just want to see whats better out there.

Thanks

Gavin

Comments

• batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I had a quick Google just to be sure and what I thought seemed correct; waterproof trousers either look like they might work but are very expensive or cheaper but look like they would be sweaty and flappy.

The problem with breathable waterproof trousers is that the vapour transmission is compromised when they get muddy, as they will riding off-road. The flappy lower legs and additional layer over the knee don't help either.

What works for me is a combo of waterproof shorts (or cut-down inexpensive waterproof trousers) over my normal shorts and long waterproof socks (Sealskinz et.al.)
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • I had a quick Google just to be sure and what I thought seemed correct; waterproof trousers either look like they might work but are very expensive or cheaper but look like they would be sweaty and flappy.

The problem with breathable waterproof trousers is that the vapour transmission is compromised when they get muddy, as they will riding off-road. The flappy lower legs and additional layer over the knee don't help either.

What works for me is a combo of waterproof shorts (or cut-down inexpensive waterproof trousers) over my normal shorts and long waterproof socks (Sealskinz et.al.)
    Hi,

Thanks for the response.

That does make sense, I was originally looking at the Endura MT500 trousers as they seem to list the technical aspects of the trousers.

Thanks

Gavin