What is it about wheels...

2»

Comments

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    w00dster - think you've hit the nail on the head there. Feel is the thing, whatever that means. Veronese - I'm looking into the idea of some hand built wheels. It's definitely about justifying the cost although that's not a massive issue. I'd looked through most of the hand built thread but missed the discussion about feel. That's the problem with scanning lots of posts very quickly I guess!

Thanks all. Seems to be a mix of fork construction and material, spokes and rims. A bit of everything really! And now I guess I'll decide whether to buy something new and shiny or stick with what I've got. New and shiny is more likely - need to be inspired to jump on after all ;)
  • johngti
    Think the jamis knew I'd been talking about it. Rode it today and it actually felt much nicer. I suspect it did it deliberately
  • johngti
    Think the jamis knew I'd been talking about it. Rode it today and it actually felt much nicer. I suspect it did it deliberately

Got a pair of kinesis cross light disc wheels for a bargain price. Saved 1kg in weight - the oem wheels weigh around 2.5kg. Anyway, they're now set up with cx tyres ready for any trails and the kinesis wheels were blooming lovely in comparison. Just couldn't justify hand builts yet as the bike was very inexpensive. Thanks all for the help anyway :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,358
    I bought a pair of Fulcrum 7's for the winter bike and although they are bullet proof, they do not feel as good as the one's I have on it which are a pair of Dura Ace 1380's. I promised myself to swap them back over now that the really filthy weather has kicked in but so far, haven't got the inclination.
    Now some might say that they are far too good for a winter bike but I did get them 2nd hand and they are 10 speed and not 11 compatible, so they will never go on the summer bike, unfortunately and may as well be used.
    The two are incomparable. Firstly because the DA's are climbing wheels and weigh a heck of a lot less. The second is that the DA's are really comfortable and the Fulcrum's are really stiff. The only area where the performance differs is uphill and over pot holes: The Fulcrum's knock the enamel off your teeth but stay true. There is no difference to acceleration or speed on the flat.

I love the DA's and given a chance, would buy a new pair to replace my Eurus's on the summer bike which have had the bearings and cones replaced more than a few times and the rims and the free wheel are on their way.

They used to say, save on bits but spend on wheels. I don't think it is any less true. If you are above 75kg's or do a heck of a lot of miles, handbuilts give you lots of options.
    I am 67kg's and too light for Mavic's (I think). The ride feel between a pair of Ksyriums and the lower end pair of Sirocco's a while back, was huge. So much so, I sold the Mavics and had change in my pocket after buying a new set of Sirocco's.
    I don't know why the tendency to perceive that hand built wheels have stiffer spokes or that they are better?!
    They are a different horse for a different course.
    For the past 7 years, I have had good experiences with factory built and would probably never go back to hand built's and that is entirely subjective...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!