Looking for a comfy saddle.

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have a TCR Advanced 2 (2012) owned from new. Did a lot of riding when I first got it and hated the saddle then (Fi'zi:k Arione w/ Manganese Rails). Just getting back into riding and starting to remember how much I hated the saddle, it is just too hard for me. Any suggestions on a replacement ? don't have budget I'll pay good money for comfort :D

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Saddle comfort is far more often down to how the shape of a particular one suits you. So, don't get swayed by looking for more padding.
  • Everyone is different, but for what it's worth I went from an Arione to a Selle Italia Novus Flow. It's so comfortable in comparison, I spent about 6 hours on it the other weekend and didn't even think about it.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    A question that cannot be answered. Such a personal piece of kit.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    There's no such thing as a comfortable bike saddle. You just get used to it and eventually dont feel it any more.

It's a bit like "it doesnt get easier, you just go faster"!
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    The most likely to be comfy saddles in my opinion (and I've tried a few) !
    Arione, not for you.
    Aliante, more saddle shaped so you sit in it not on it.
    Spoon, another fairly flat style and cheap.
    Flyte, old but good.
    Rolls, old school retro but very comfy.
    Brooks, old heavy retro but if it suits you it is the holy grail of saddles.
    Just my opinion of course, other folk will have theirs !!
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Think about how and where your current saddle is uncomfortable. My old saddle was too narrow and dug into me becoming very painful after an hour or so. Due to this i measured my sit bones and bought a wider saddle with a cut away. I can now ride fine for hours.

Bike setup also has an effect as does making sure you sit on the right part of the saddle. A mistake i made was setting the saddle with a spirit level when the bike wasn't on level ground. Once on level ground the saddle was angled backwards a fair bit.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    After a hip \ hamstring I couldn't get comfy on anything - I was digging into the saddle - even through padded shorts ! - A brooks b17 sorted it for me - granted it don't look great - but I have no choice.

Im sure you won't want to whack a great big enormous b17 on your bike - but perhaps a leather saddle might be an option as it moulds to the shape of you ass ! - I believe spa cycles do a more handsome leather saddle for around £45 which might be worth a look...
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Years ago I 've made myself way of classification of saddles:
    1-width 2-Form 3 Padding
    1a-narrow 2a-flat 3a-hard
    1b-medium 2b-medium 3b-medium
    1c-wide 2c-round 3c-soft

Once you know your settings you can judge a saddle without riding it. For me it's 1b/2a/3b