Sportive advice

TriRhod
TriRhod Posts: 8
edited December 2015 in Road general
Hi there,

Looking for some tips. Cycling previously limited to triathlons - so just flat TTs really - but looking to branch out into road cycling after ACL reconstruction scuppered running plans.

Looking to enjoy the more social side of cycling as well, time to enjoy things a bit more. Having said that I am pretty fit and want to stay that way. Anyway, with all that in mind - what are the 'must do' sportives in UK? I am in South Wales and know there are a few round here. Not afraid of a challenge - but want a good atmosphere too.

Any advice greatly received.

Cheers,

Rhod

Comments

• Hi there,

Looking for some tips. Cycling previously limited to triathlons - so just flat TTs really - but looking to branch out into road cycling after ACL reconstruction scuppered running plans.

Looking to enjoy the more social side of cycling as well, time to enjoy things a bit more. Having said that I am pretty fit and want to stay that way. Anyway, with all that in mind - what are the 'must do' sportives in UK? I am in South Wales and know there are a few round here. Not afraid of a challenge - but want a good atmosphere too.

Any advice greatly received.

Cheers,

Rhod

I have only done a couple as I just do not really see the point in them .... but Open Cycling Coast to Coast in a day was a very well run day ...highly recommended ... its a stunning route (although a bit lumpy!) and the organizers fostered a really supportive atmosphere on the ride.

I will probably do Wales in a day next year which is the other even they run.
  • Thanks Jedi! Sounds good.

All I hear from my roadie mates is that Dragon Ride is the must do Welsh Sportive in terms of challenge and route. Think I'm going to go for that, as seems to get much better reviews than some of the others round me. You got friends that have done it?
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    edited November 2015
    Fred Whitton. One of the first sportives in the UK and a genuine challenge without being OTT. Great support from locals, well run with marshalls at every junction and you get to climb Hardknott - try not to walk ;-)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Yes I would say the Fred is the daddy, there are a few other big ones but some of the prices rather put me off these days.

As for the point of a sportive - I'm not sure cycling events need to have a point but I guess they are something to train for without needing the same level of fitness or entailing the same risk of ending up in hospital as a road race.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Etape Du Dales is a good day out, hard work but not impossible.
  • All of your objectives would be better (and cheaper!) served by joining a local club and going on some clubruns. I never really saw the point of paying to ride on open public roads- just to get a few "free" energy gels.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    All of your objectives would be better (and cheaper!) served by joining a local club and going on some clubruns. I never really saw the point of paying to ride on open public roads- just to get a few "free" energy gels.

Or by riding with friends. It's not too tricky to work out a decent 60 / 80 / 100 mile route and go off and ride it stopping for a decent lunch on route. Far more sociable and pleasurable than riding with lots of goons who think it's a race a being worried about one of them taking you out at some point.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Sportives aren't road races but plenty of people do treat them as a race in so much as they are trying to get round as quickly as possible - it may be that is what the OP wants. Certainly when I've done the Fred or the Marmotte I'm not looking to stop for a lunch and take in the view - plenty of other rides for that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Look for some audax rides.

Addax is the long distance cycling organisation in the UK. You can do anything from 100km to 1400km. They generally have controls with real food including cake and the riders are nice people. The first I can find in wales is http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-677/ which is 204km starting in Coryton in December.

There will be people on everything from single speed winter bikes to best bling carbon (I will let you guess who is fastest). Cost is usually under £10 although some of the fancier ones may be more expensive.

You could then look at the Bryan Chapman in May which is 600Km in 40 hours from Chepstow to Menai bridge and back with 7500m of climbing. The fast guys will do this in 24 hours.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    3 Pistes was good fun and friendly last year, and a decent challenge.

I see they are also running a 3 day tour of the Scottish ski centres (I guess that should be called 5 Pistes?) this year, which looks excellent.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    All of your objectives would be better (and cheaper!) served by joining a local club and going on some clubruns. I never really saw the point of paying to ride on open public roads- just to get a few "free" energy gels.

In my experience, the worst behaviour I have witnessed on sportives is from small groups of club riders or people in the same kit. The arrogance and superior attitude of these people is bizarre. It's these guys who are going flat out with no thought for other "lesser" cyclists, it's these guys that skim past you without a word and 20 mm clearance, it's these guys that don't make any effort at being sociable with others.

I have never joined a club, and usually ride solo in the week and with a small bunch of friends at the weekend. The Dartmoor Classic was the best sportive I have done in terms of sociability and friendliness. There is a smaller ride in Surrey at the end of October called Legs of Steel organised by Full on Tri, which is great, but it is a hard route and I would say the level of people trying it is more experienced than a lot of other events.
  • The Dragon Ride is good but has become ridiculously expensive, particularly if you're local and can go out on those roads any time. (I'm not local but I'd rather spend the money on an extra night in a hotel and have two days' riding in a beautiful part of the world.)

Velothon Wales is also local to you. For the more adventurous, Tour of Wessex isn't far away and there are some good events in north Wales.

I think sportives are like stopping for cake in a cafe: you don't really need to but now and again it's fun.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    edited November 2015
    ^ echo that.
    Re the one above the one above.....Basically it's a small minority of riders that act like tools & they come in all shapes & sizes. Most people on sportives are just there to enjoy themselves and will be fairly sociable. Unfortunately some people are just D1cks.

howtonotbeadick.jpeg?w=590

Back on topic - my favourite event is the Jurassic Beast - just love that part of the world and the route is very rewarding. Legs of Steel is also a good local one for me - tough but short. Ditchling Devil Audax is also very good if you want to get away from the sportive scene & are happy with self nav - classic London-Brighton-London outing.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • Nip across the Channel to Brittany/Normandy.

Plenty of superbly organised sportives on excellent, CLOSED roads, and all for a pittance, most of which goes to charity.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103

In my experience, the worst behaviour I have witnessed on sportives is from small groups of club riders or people in the same kit. The arrogance and superior attitude of these people is bizarre. It's these guys who are going flat out with no thought for other "lesser" cyclists, it's these guys that skim past you without a word and 20 mm clearance, it's these guys that don't make any effort at being sociable with others.

I have never joined a club, and usually ride solo in the week and with a small bunch of friends at the weekend. The Dartmoor Classic was the best sportive I have done in terms of sociability and friendliness. There is a smaller ride in Surrey at the end of October called Legs of Steel organized by Full on Tri, which is great, but it is a hard route and I would say the level of people trying it is more experienced than a lot of other events.

Sure, there are genuine, talented jerks out there, but you should still try fast group ride, maybe in a club, so you can see 'the dark side'. You might find that sustaining high effort for extended periods of time your body will start prioritizing and diverting energy from less immediate needs, like politeness, courtesy and 100% awareness, whether you want it or not. I try to remain civil at all times, but it is, definitely, harder the more energy i expend. I can see how less patient would give up, whatsoever. Or just show their true colours ^ ^
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198

I have never joined a club, and usually ride solo in the week and with a small bunch of friends at the weekend. The Dartmoor Classic was the best sportive I have done in terms of sociability and friendliness. There is a smaller ride in Surrey at the end of October called Legs of Steel organised by Full on Tri, which is great, but it is a hard route and I would say the level of people trying it is more experienced than a lot of other events.

I consider myself a very average cyclist. I've been in 2 clubs and on the whole I've felt more than welcome by both.

IME there is little difference between a charity ride and a sportive. But for what the OP wants I would certainly look for a local club.