Commuter & Winter bike advice

spokeydokey84
spokeydokey84 Posts: 8
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to buy a new bike for the following:

1. All year-round commuting, from Essex in to London. 23 miles each way, realistically 2 or 3 times a week (so probably about 100-150 miles / week). Predominantly pretty flat, with a few ramps near to home but nothing major. Obviously must be able to deal with potholes and general London cr@p.

2. Winter rides. Generally long, base miles with a few friends, often fairly hilly.

I'm pretty strong on the bike, so I don't mind something a bit heavier as I don't see keeping up on slow Winter rides as an issue... within reason.

Training for Haute Route next year, and have my Canyon Ultimate for that, the odd road race, and good weather rides, but thinking I should buy something robust, maintenance-free and practical for all these commuting miles.

I'll be buying using Cycle to Work scheme, which Evans accepts, and I've seen they have the Genesis Day One Alfine di2 on sale from £2,200 down to £1,500:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/genesis/day-one-alfine-di2-2014-cyclocross-bike-ec055502

I've never had a bike with internal hub, and it's appealing for it's hassle-free nature and the fact that I won't constantly be getting annoyed about my dainty derailleur being bashed out by potholes etc. Reviews are generally pretty good, albeit the weight (12kg) may be an issue.

I'd probably look to put some 28mm tyres on to quicken it up, but I'm concerned about how difficult it might be to mend a puncture in pitch black on a rear wheel with internal hub and fixed mudguards?

Really appreciate any thoughts, experiences or alternatives. In an ideal world I'd get a dedicated commuting bike (hybrid perhaps) and a lighter "classic" winter bike, but cost and space are the limiting factors so I need a machine to cover both bases. Am I being ridiculous in thinking I'll be fine on the club run on the heavy Day One?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    For what you're describing, it is a decent idea.

Changing punctures will be a bit harder on it than with a regular bike, but my understanding is that the Di2 hub gears mean that you can just unplug it, then plug it back in which minimizes any complication there - with conventional cable hub gears there is an added fettle of getting the tension right each time you put the wheel back in. Mudguards certainly would complicate the issue further as the wheel slides out of the frame backwards, rather than downwards - you'd probably need to remove mudguards to get the wheel out (or just use a crud catcher/ass saver type rear mudguard - not great for your buddies on the club run!)

You will feel that extra weight, but if you're a pretty strong rider then it shouldn't be disastrous, although you're unlikely to win hill climbs against riders on more conventional Alu/CF rides.

I do sort of wonder if you might be better off just getting a Kaffenback for half the money though - it's similar weight, has the same sturdy steel construction but proper dérailleur gears and standard vertical quick release dropouts. I'd make sure you have a test ride on the day one as it's a fair chunk of money to hand over if you find you don't like it.

The other possibility is you could look at getting a cheap singlespeed for commute duties - wiggle have this one for a mere £330 - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-isolation-cx12-singlespeed-2015/ - it's broadly similar constuction to the day one just without the di2 gearing. I bought one recently and it's not without it's quirks, but as a low maintenance commuter that you don't mind getting wet it's pretty perfect.

That would then leave you money to retrofit a Di2 Alfine wheel and gears if you later decided that is what you wanted, or leave you with the cash to buy a more conventional winter trainer.
  • Blimey, that's a decent commute.

Only thing I'd say is don't get caught up on the big discount on that Genesis as everyone seemed to be offering huge amounts off those. I'm the worst person for buying "bargains" (and was even looking at that bike) but you have to step back sometimes! If it's right for you go for it though.

What are your work bike sheds like by the way? Not sure I'd want to leave lovely Di2 shifters to get battered around by other people although suppose that's a million times better than a pricey normal Di2 rear mech.
  • Thanks both.

I have been thinking about whether it might be better to get a good single speed and a more conventional winter trainer for similar total money. I guess I really like the look and description of the genesis but I've got reservations about (a) punctures, (b) weight and (c) maintenance (from what I've read, IGH's don't need much TLC but if something goes wrong I wouldn't have a clue where to start in terms of opening it up). Maybe if it's just a question of booking it in for a 6-monthly service at the LBS then there's not really an issue.

If I go down the 2-bike alternative, thinking something like the single speed Day One (not that I've got a thing for Genesis or anything....) plus a winter trainer with guards etc. Would appreciate suggestions there. I had an alu Giant TCR 1 (2011) with 105, which you'd think would be perfect but it's just been a complete nightmare and literally needs TLC after each and every ride - not even the bike shop can get the gears to stay true for more than a few miles, and the headset is a mess. so I'd like something that has a reputation for being a bit of a workhorse and won't leave me frustrated with excessive maintenance.

Work bike shed is decent - v secure and I've got a spot in the corner out of the way of others, so getting bashed not too big a concern.

I've ordered the Alfine genesis in to Evans so will go for a quick spin next week but I'm not sure even that will convince me it's the perfect "2 birds, 1 stone" solution....
  • Are you allowed to breach the £1k cyclescheme limit?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Yes (say Evans) but obviously can only buy 1 bike on the scheme, so if I went down the SS + winter trainer route, I'd just buy the most expensive one on the scheme.
  • So, you're going to be topping up on top of the £1k then?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As a winter trainer / commuter I'd probably go for something like the Kinesis Racelight 4S, new Tiagra 4700 groupset, BR650 long drop brakes, some handbuilt Archetypes on 105 hubs (spoke type and count depending on your weight), 28mm GP4S tyres and full Chromoplastic guards.

Not sure how easy that would be to accomplish on the CTW scheme though...
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    If it were me I'd be trying to keep the bike count down to a minimum - cleaning them, maintaining brakes, tyres, etc could otherwise become a right pain. I think you have been unlucky with your Giant and its gearshift - I have a 2010 wilier which looks the part but has a tragic cable routing and has been a nightmare to get the gears sitting perfectly. Given the length of your commute, I'd suggest getting a winter bike with similar gearing to your best bike and same groupset manufacturer which would allow you to temporarily swap wheels or other components if you have a problem with either bike. You used to be able to get bikes from Ribble on the ride to work scheme and I'd be inclined to check them out for a winter bike.

Peter